DataTools: Export to CSV/Excel/PDF or Copy crashes the Flash player on Firefox and Windows

DataTools: Export to CSV/Excel/PDF or Copy crashes the Flash player on Firefox and Windows

CanuckaholicCanuckaholic Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Under the following software specs, clicking on the DataTools export or copy buttons in the SWF file causes the Flash player to become unresponsive.

Windows 8.1
Firefox 31.0
TableTools 2.2.3
ZeroClipboard 1.0.4
DataTables 1.10.2
Flash 15.0.0.152

Answers

• peterobelpeterobel Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

I have the exact same problem, under almost the exact same conditions.

Firefox 33 (all others the same)

Everything works fine in IE, but in firefox Flash hangs and finally crash.

I have gone through the debugger in JS, and everything looks good. It has no javascript errors and delivers all the right information to the flash movie.

• Nikos KontisNikos Kontis Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0

Same here, additionally I have noticed that in Internet Explorer the export button is not displaying at all!
    The only browsers that works properly is Chrome.
    A version of DataTables, Tools+ZeroClipboard from last year works properly.

• miclebowskimiclebowski Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0

For the record, it doesn't work on the example pages too (FF32 Win8).

Is that because of Flash restrictions or sg?

Thanks for your help.

• CanuckaholicCanuckaholic Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Nikos. Which version from last year works? I may want to go back to that version.

I am 100% that in TableTools v2.1.4 (+ZeroClipboad) it works properly.
    For DataTables I am in v1.9.1, not sure where the problem lies though. I presume it's on TableTools.

edited October 2014

I just verified that even the demo page:
    https://datatables.net/extensions/tabletools/
    doesn't work on FireFox (on the second click it crashes) and in IE 10 doesn't show any of the buttons (only Print)! My initial thoughts was that I was doing something wrong when I integrated it in Bootstrap, but it's unrelated. The crazy thing is that no errors show up in the console.

• allanallan Posts: 61,710Questions: 1Answers: 10,103 Site admin

There have been some varying reports on how successful TableTools is with the latest Flash player release. If you aren't using the very latest Flash player, I would suggest updating.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the problem myself so I haven't been able to debug and trace it. If anyone does have a way to reproduce the error, it would be very welcome.

The sooner the browser devs implement the APIs needed so I can drop Flash from TableTools, the better. It has been nothing but painful!

Allan

edited October 2014

OK I can confirm that by downloading the latest Flash Player from Adobe's website the problem is fixed on FireFox and IE! Damn Adobe.
    Just a side note, you need to download and install the plugin twice to work on both browsers, do it from FireFox and then from IE!

• miclebowskimiclebowski Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0

Indeed, updating to the very last version of Flash made it work again.

Thanks for your help!

• allanallan Posts: 61,710Questions: 1Answers: 10,103 Site admin

Thanks for the updated :-). Good to hear it works again now!

Allan

This discussion has been closed.