Currency Sorting Example

Currency Sorting Example

tjrowetjrowe Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited August 2010 in General
Are there any examples of the currency sorting and the currency type detection functions posted anywhere?

I have seen the code snippets on the plug-ins pages, but I am looking for a full blown examples like those in the examples section. For some reason I haven't been able to get the currency sorting working and I wanted a live sample to compare it to in an attempt to discover what I am doing wrong.

Love DataTables by the way, everything else is working really well.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    There isn't an example of the currency sorting itself, but there is an example of how to get sorting with type detection going: http://datatables.net/examples/plug-ins/sorting_plugin.html

If that doesn't work, perhaps you can post your initialisation code here.

Allan
  • tjrowetjrowe Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Allan, I looked over the example in the link you provided, and to my newbie eyes, it seems that I am setting everything up properly.

Here is my initialisation code.

[code]

jQuery.fn.dataTableExt.aTypes.push(
    function ( sData )
    {
    var sValidChars = "0123456789.-,";
    var Char;

/* Check the numeric part */
    for ( i=1 ; i
    I would agree that looks right. Are you using DataTables 1.7? If not then do you have white space in your table - which would stop this from working (1.7 will strip the white space automatically), and DataTables would treat it as a string which is what appears to be happening here...

Allan
    I am indeed using DataTables 1.7.

Table code looks like this:
    [code]

First Name
    Last Name
    Current Vehicle
    Book Value
    Equity
    Payoff

Nancy
    Bell
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    $11,323.34
    $7,856.23
    $3,265.45

Robert
    Berray
    2007 Honda Pilot
    $15,232.33
    $13,523.96
    $2,523.21

[/code]

This is just a sample table so the links don't go anywhere right now.
    Oh - it's the links which are "killing" it. The auto detection won't strip out the links using the code you've got there. So DataTables is indeed seeing it as a string, since it doesn't match any of the known types.

What you need to do is to combine the currency plug-in you've got there, with the "number with HTML" plug-in: http://datatables.net/plug-ins/sorting#numbers_html . The auto type detection will need a similar, but small, modification.

Regards,
    Allan
    Thank, Allan. I hadn't considered the links as being a source of the problem.
  • jphornjphorn Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Hi Allan, tjrowe,

I've got a table similar to tjrowe's with href links, but with euro currency instead of dollar signs and I just can't get it to sort right. Is there a full blown example which combines the two plugins 'currency sorting' and 'number with html', preferably with euro signs as well?
    Rather than search for just the € character, you might need to search for "& euro;" (without the space), and remove that, since it's an HTML entity. I've made a note to look at setting up a currency sorting example at some point and updating the plug-in with this.

Allan
  • jphornjphorn Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited August 2010
    Hi allan,

Thanks. What I don't get is how to combine the two plugins. Do I need to run Numbers with HTML first and Euro currency afterwards or do they need to be combined in one
    Yes they will need to be combined together. So the first thing to do is to strip the HTML from the input. Something like this: "x = a.replace( /<.*?>/g, "" );". Then parse x as currency, like the above plug-in.

Allan
  • matthart1983matthart1983 Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited December 2010
    Our team encountered an issue using the code above which stemmed from having currency being rendered in formed of -$XXXX which ultimately caused the javascript to fail. A fix for this can be found below.

[code]
    var x = a == "-" ? 0 : a.replace( /,/g, "" ).replace(/\$/g,"");
    var y = b == "-" ? 0 : b.replace( /,/g, "" ).replace(/\$/g,"");

//x = x.substring( 1 );
    //y = y.substring( 1 );
    [/code]
This discussion has been closed.