Upgrading to DataTables 1.9 from 1.8
Although DataTables 1.9 has seen a major amount of work on the internal method and structure of the program as a whole, one of the primary goals has been to ensure backwards compatibility is retained. There are only two minor changes that are not 100% backwards compatible, one requiring a little CSS to rectify and the other is state saving customisation.
- Two button pagination:
The default two button pagination now uses A tags, rather than DIV tags and also now includes the language string 'Previous' and 'Next'. This is done in order to enhance the accessibility of the tables. The CSS found here can be used to update your stylesheets to take account of this change.
- Full numbers pagination:
The full numbers pagination now uses A tags, rather than SPAN tags to enhance the accessibility of the tables. The CSS found here can be used to update your stylesheets to take account of this change.
State saving / ColReorder
- DataTables 1.9 has a much improved API for state customisation, but it has meant removing the old parameters fnStateLoadCallback and fnStateSaveCallback. There is a blog post detailing these changes and how the new options can be used.
- Note that if you are using ColReorder with state saving enabled, you must also update ColReorder to the latest version.
- fnCreatedCell - new column option, very similar to fnRender, but called when the TD cell is created.
- fnCreatedRow - like fnCreatedCell, but operating on the TR row. Lets you know when a new row has been created so you can act on it.
- mDataProp - new 2nd parameter passed if mDataProp is a function - telling you what the data request type is.
- aDataSort - Define multi-column sorting for a single column (i.e. when that column is sorted, the multi-column sort will occur).
- fnStateSave - Define the logic to save the state
- fnStateLoad - Define the logic to load the state
- fnStateLoaded - Notification that state has been loaded
- fnStateSaveParams - Modify the state object that is to be saved
- fnStateLoadParams - Modify the state object that has been loaded, prior to reloading the state.
- fnRowCallback - No need to return the TR element now.
- fnRender - Passed in a second parameter now, the value of the cell being operated on from the original data source.
- iTabIndex - tabindex attribute value that is applied to the table controls to allow keyboard accessibility.
- oLanguage.oAria.sSortAscending - language string that is applied to the ARIA label to indicate that sorting activation will cause an ascending sort.
- oLanguage.oAria.sSortDescending - language string that is applied to the ARIA label to indicate that sorting activation will cause an descending sort.
- $ - new API method which will perform a jQuery selector action on the contents of the table body.
- _ - very similar to the new $ function, but in this case will return an array of data from the matching nodes, rather than the nodes themselves.
- fnIsOpen - new API method that will check is a TR element is 'open' or not.
- fnFilter - new 6th parameter to allow control over case-sensitive filtering options.
- fnDestroy - new 1st parameter which, when set to true, will cause the table to be completely removed from the page, rather than being re-inserted in the original position.
- fnGetData - now also accepts TD/TH elements to be passed in (in addition to the already supported TR elements). Returned data is that for the TD/TH cell.
- Using sName to order columns with server-side processing or Ajax sourced data is now deprecated and will be removed in the next major version of DataTables. The mDataProp option introduced in v1.8 offers much greater flexibility and should be used in preference to sName reordering. The sName parameter will remain to reference columns.
- asStripClasses contains a typo. Only the correct spelling asStripeClasses will be supported in future.
If you do happen to encounter any other issues during the upgrade process, please let me know in the forums.