Needs an IRC Channel

Needs an IRC Channel

robertmaxreesrobertmaxrees Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hello!

I'm a moderator over in #jquery on freenode and we regularly get support requests in that channel.

Datatables is complex enough that most of our users aren't readily able to assist. Have you guys considered creating a dedicated IRC channel on Freenode or somewhere else? It's be a great place to point users.

Thanks!

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,734Questions: 1Answers: 10,110 Site admin

Hi,

Thanks for your message! I've often wondered about an IRC channel and it is something I'd really like to do, but this project is run by just one person (me) and while the community are fantastic at helping to answer questions in the forum, I'm concerned that an IRC channel would just turn into a time sink for support. About 50% of my time is already spent doing support, so I'd be (very) reluctant to spend any more time on it, and there are already plenty of unanswered questions in the forum here sadly.

I might experiment with it sometime, but it would need to be at the expense of some other support channel.

Allan

• devJunkdevJunk Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited January 2015

I took the liberty to just register #DataTables.net for now.

Even though I understand your logic behind not being 100% behind the IRC channel idea, I do believe that IRC serves a purpose different from the forum. While here you can leave your questions and wait for an answer, on IRC you go, ask and might get an answer instantly. Also, most of the time support is given by other users, à la StackOverflow... but live!

Also, friendly chat is common and I've even learnt from other users just by tapping into conversations.

I'll be connected 24/7 (not reading all the time, of course, but I keep logs), so feel free to join me.

And, allan, if you'd like me to transfer ownership to you or to somebody else you trust, you just have to ask.

This discussion has been closed.