Download Builder for DataTables

Download Builder for DataTables

duselguyduselguy Posts: 24Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hello,
are there plans to create Download Builder for DataTables like it is in jQuery UI (http://jqueryui.com/download/) or Highcharts (http://www.highcharts.com/download) ?
Thanks

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,920Questions: 1Answers: 10,152 Site admin

Yes :-)

Likely June for the launch.

Allan

• duselguyduselguy Posts: 24Questions: 3Answers: 0

Thank you.
    Preparing of suggestions ...

Hello, posted yesterday my suggestions. Still are moderating (?)

The suggestions with check boxes to include/exclude components:

Input:
      1. Compiled
         Two check boxes to get: only compiled, not compiled, compiled and not compiled
      2. jQuery
      3. Extensions
         Check box for all extensions. Check box for each extension.
      4. Examples
         One check box - all or nothing (including examples in extensions).
      5. Something else
         No ideas about modularity of the datatables itself.
    Output:
      1. Results of the choices above.
      2. index.html:
        2.1. Timestamp1 - date/time of download.
        2.2. Information about installed components (name, version, timestamp2, short description).
      3. No ideas about: Contributing.md, license.txt, Readme.md
    Common notes:
      1. Folders/files names should not be version depended.
      2. Headers in the modules should include timestamp2.
      3. timestamp2 is date/time of the module in the server distro.
    For example, in my case:
      1. Not compiled
      2. No jQuery
      3. Extensions: ColVis
      4. No examples
    the output tree is:
    DataTables
      extensions
        ColVis
          css
            dataTables.colVis.css
            dataTables.colvis.jqueryui.css (?)
          js
            dataTables.colVis.js
          License.txt (?)
          Readme.md (?)
      media
        css
          jquery.dataTables.css
          jquery.dataTables_themeroller.css (?)
        images
          favicon.ico
          sort_asc.png
          sort_asc_disabled.png
          sort_both.png
          sort_desc.png
          sort_desc_disabled.png
          Sorting icons.psd
        js
          jquery.dataTables.js
      Contributing.md (?)
      index.html
      license.txt (?)
      Readme.md (?)

Thanks

Yes it was moderated - thanks for pointing that out. The is so much spam it is easy to miss some!

Thanks for your suggestion. It is along the lines of what I am thinking about :-)

Allan

Hello,
    related to the current Download Builder:
    it's very difficult to explain what is wrong if all looks wrong (at least for me):

1. Minification - Minify/Debug has no effect - min and full versions are present in zip
    2. Styling - DataTables has no effect - lot of CSSs in zip
    3. etc etc. etc.

Please, go ahead - I'll use the full version with the manual deletion of unnecessary files.
    Thanks,
    LP

edited August 2015

1) Minification - Minify/Debug has no effect - min and full versions are present in zip

This is correct - but the URLs shown in the download builder will correctly refer to which one you selected. You can then easily change between the two as needed for development and production. I didn't see the need to throw away the one that wasn't selected.

2) Styling - DataTables has no effect - lot of CSSs in zip

I'm not sure what you mean by "DataTables has no effect" - however, you are correct that there are a lot of files in the downloaded package. However, as the download builder shows, only the datatables(.min).css file should be included. The source files for all the libraries that are selected as part of the download are included in the zip file (in their individual directories). You would not include them individually (unless you wanted to).

So yes, there are unnecessary files in the final download, which may or may not be useful depending on your needs :-)

Allan

• krtcomkrtcom Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hello,

first, thanks for all the work. I like working with DataTables. I was very glad to see the latest update including the download builder. However there are some problems using the download builder.

If I understand correctly the concatenate option just joins all the included files into one single file with possible minification. I noticed that if AMD define (like requireJS) is available each extension registers itself as a module using define. Since the modules are not named it looks like it could be a problem when all the extensions are in the same file. There is no way to determine which file and module to load by requireJS when some module is requested.

Also downloaded file contains line like this:

jQuery.fn.dataTable.ext.builder = "bs\/pdfmake-0.1.18,dt-1.10.8,b-1.0.1,b-colvis-1.0.1,b-print-1.0.1,cr-1.2.0,fc-3.1.0,fh-3.0.0,r-1.0.7,rr-1.0.0,sc-1.3.0,se-1.0.0";

which throws an error "Cannot read property 'ext' of undefined" when using requireJS to load DataTables.

If anyone could help with this problem i would be very happy. Thanks

hi,

I'm afraid I don't have an immediate fix for you. This is something that I need to address. I don't think that the download builder particularly lends itself to the AMD loader way of working - I would recommend against it for the reasons you state.

What I plan to do is create a number of repositories that will be the "distribution" repos for DataTables and its extensions, and it is them that should be used with external loaders. I'm hoping to do that sometime next month.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.