File Upload

File Upload

cbtdevcbtdev Posts: 39Questions: 12Answers: 0

Is there a way to upload the file when the form is submitted, as opposed to immediately uploading the file when it is selected? Would I need to write a custom editor.fieldType to handle this? If so, how would I go about implementing the get method so that editor will send the file(s) along with the rest of the form data?

Thanks,
Kurt

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately, with the built in upload file type, no. The file is uploaded async relative to the rest of the form.

The only option I can think of to make it synchronous would be to have a custom field type plug-in that would read the file information into a local variable and that would be submitted to the server as the form as a whole is submitted. That is probably fairly non-trivial to do though.

Allan

• cbtdevcbtdev Posts: 39Questions: 12Answers: 0

Thanks Allan, I'll play around with this and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again,
    Kurt

Hi Allan, I guess I am still a little confused. I'm trying to implement the custom field type and I am unsure what editor is expecting back from the get method...

_fieldTypes.upload_s = {
            create: function ( field ) {
                field._enabled = true;
                var input = $('<input type="file"/>');
                field._input = $(input)[0];
                return field._input;
            },
            get: function ( field ) {
                // what should be returned here?
                return $(field._input)[0].files[0]; // this doesn't work            
            },
            set: function ( field, val ) {

},
            enable: function ( field ) {

},
            disable: function ( field ) {

}
        }

From what I understand, in order to submit a file along with other parameters, you need to use a FormData() object as the value for the ajax data field. However, the Editor.prototype._submit function doesn't seem to be serializing the input fields like this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kurt

• DavidT72DavidT72 Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

Kurt,

I'm trying to do the same thing. Did you manage to find a solution to this?

Thanks,
    Dave

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

I'm not sure if be did ever complete this - my profuse apologies if I failed to reply here Kurt!

Basically you need the get() to return the information about the file - probably a base64 representation. It might be possible to return a Blob but that isn't something that I've tried.

Either way, as the file is selected you would need to read the information about it (using FileReader) into a variable that can then be returned using the get method.

Allan

Dave,

We decided not to implement a custom field type and just use the built in file uploader.

Kurt

This discussion has been closed.