Has anyone created a field type plug in for file uploads?

Has anyone created a field type plug in for file uploads?

I2SUserI2SUser Posts: 5Questions: 3Answers: 0
edited June 2014 in Free community support

I noticed several older posts about a type="file" field type and I was wondering if anyone has created a plug in to provide this functionality? I have multiple screens that I'm starting to replace with the DataTable-Editor which basically add/edit an entry in the database (easy enough). One of the columns in the table is an image filename on the server and in a perfect world, the user could either select an existing image or upload a new one. Selecting an existing image is also easy enough, but I'd rather not force the user to go through a process of separately uploading an image before they edit the database entry. Having a fieldtype of file that would allow them to select their local image and upload that along with submitting the form would be preferable.
If it matters, all of the server-side logic is customized ColdFusion code and not the supplied PHP scripts.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Not yet as far as I am aware (at least not publicly available). It is however something I'm going to be looking to add to Editor fairly soon as this is an important feature! I'm currently wrapping up some other work for DataTables (a Responsive plug-in :-) ), which will be released soon, then I'm going to be looking at extending Editor's feature set, including file upload.

Selecting an existing image is also easy enough, but I'd rather not force the user to go through a process of separately uploading an image before they edit the database entry.

The way I'm planning to implement it is to ajax upload the image in the background while the editing form is still visible, also I'm not yet dead set on that...

Allan

• nigel pasconigel pasco Posts: 37Questions: 6Answers: 0

Hi Allan,
    Good luck with the file upload feature, it is definitely an important feature, so hopefully you can pull it off.
    Regards,
    Nige

• coderxcoderx Posts: 45Questions: 7Answers: 0

Hi Allan,

is there any progress on the file upload feature?

Peter

Working on it still I'm afraid. I'll be announcing it on the blog when it is available, but it is a top priority!

Allan

• coderxcoderx Posts: 45Questions: 7Answers: 0

It is ok, thank you for the quick reply and for all your hard work! :)

• crush123crush123 Posts: 417Questions: 126Answers: 18

Any news on this ?

I have a project for which I would love to user datatables/editor extensively.

This would be the icing on the cake.

(Happy to beta test)

Should be released tomorrow (unless I get completely bogged down in support today, which is always possible...).

Allan

Yup - 6 hours of support today so very little development work done unfortunately. Probably unlikely it will be tomorrow now. Before the end of the week!

Allan

• crush123crush123 Posts: 417Questions: 126Answers: 18

Cool, look forward to it

• webpointzwebpointz Posts: 126Questions: 30Answers: 4

Hope to see it soon! This would be a show stopper for me to add to my application!

This discussion has been closed.