deferred render question

deferred render question

terminalterminal Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited April 2014 in General
Hi, I was wondering what kind of data source you need to use with deferred rendering. I have turned on the option expecting that if I display 100 rows at a time the performance should be similar to a table with ~300 rows. This is not playing out though.

Edit: not 300 in this case since only ~6 rows are showing with a 200px window. My understanding is only the displayed rows, and an equal number above and below are rendered by default.

My question would be then, do I need to use the Ajax data source with server side processing ( like the manual's example) or can I just pass it a javascript array like I am doing?

Here is the example code I am using for table creation. Datatables Live is currently giving me a 503 error, and I cannot link to the webpage directly.

[code]
var numCols = 15;
var numRows = 8000;
var aoColumns = [];
var rows = [];

for (var i= 0; i < numCols; i++)
{
aoColumns[i] = { "sTitle" : "column #"+i }
}

for (var i = 0; i < numRows; i++)
{
var new_row = [];
for (var j = 0; j < numCols; j++)
{
new_row.push(j);
}
rows.push(new_row);
}

this.$('table').dataTable({
"aoColumns" : aoColumns,
"aaData" : rows,
"bPaginate" : false,
"bFilter" : true,
"bSort" : true,
"sScrollY" : "200px",
"bDeferRender": true
});
[/code]

Replies

• terminalterminal Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited April 2014
    Found the solution in another forum post. You have to have bPaginate enabled.

Edit: I see why this works now. The entries are put into pages so it only loads 1 page at a time. The scroll bar is for the page displayed. I was hoping to have all the rows in the table with no pages. It looks like Scroller (https://datatables.net/blog/Introducing_Scroller_-_Virtual_Scrolling_for_DataTables) is the only way to do that?
  • allanallan Posts: 63,201Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Yup - Scroller is the way to do that! Designed specifically for this purpose. It makes use of the internal paging of DataTables, but does it so it looks like all rows are visible.

Allan
  • terminalterminal Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Ok, thanks Allan.
This discussion has been closed.