$(document).ready(
function () {

oTable = $('#tableID').dataTable(
{

"ajax":                
            function (data, callback, settings) {
                if (!datatableAjaxRequestInProgress) {
                    datatableAjaxRequestInProgress = true;
                    ConnectionIndicator('Show_And_Start', $('#connectionIndicator'));
                    $.ajax({
                        data: data,
                        dataType: "json",
                        url: "@Url.Action("AjaxHandler, "Controller")",
                        cache: false,
                        timeout: 35000,
                    }).done(function (returneddata) {
                        //first call my handler to catch potential server-side errors, then pass it on DT
                        datatableAjaxRequestInProgress = false;
                        dataTableAjaxReturn(returneddata, $('#connectionIndicator'), $('#ErrMessage'));
                        callback(returneddata);

}).fail(function (jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown) {
                        datatableAjaxRequestInProgress = false;
                        handleDataTableAjaxError(jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown, $('#ErrMessage'), strServerTimeoutMessage);                           
                    })
                }
        },               
        "RowCallback": PreserveRowHighlight,
        "serverSide": true,
        "processing": false,
        "paginate": false,
        "lengthChange": false,
        "searching": false,
        "ordering": false,
        "info": false,
        "autoWidth": false,
        "scrollY": tableHeight,
        "columnDefs": [
            { "searchable": false, "targets": 0 }
        ],
        "columns":
        [

.... ]
});
};
Problem - The very first data update is not updating the table.
Second one and subsequents update fine.

After playing around I noticed that the table does get updated if after first one I resize the window.

But then resizing the window redraws the table and makes it ask again.

So I tried triggering Datatable.draw()... noticed that if trigger it again within the $(document).ready() i still have same problem - data comes back, but doesn't show up in the table until a later refersh.

So I ended up ducktaping that by adding a timeout draw trigger to end of "ready"

setTimeout(function () {
boolSkipFirstDatatableRequest = false;
var newTable = oTable.DataTable();
newTable.columns.adjust().draw();
}, 50)

and in my ajax function not sending any requests until boolSkipFirstDatatableRequest is switched off - to avoid a useless server request.

This works, but produces a noticeable delay in rendering the table data... I also suspect that this solution may not work on a slower computer where that delay won't be enough. For example if I reduce that delay to 10 milliseconds, the second redraw is triggered too quickly and fails to update the table just as the first one.

This is a potentially large dataset which needs to be self updating - the standard custom refresh will be on a 30 to 120 seconds configurable refresh. So if that first update doesn't render data for slowly rendering computers, my customers will be waiting a while for the next update.

On the other hand if I put that delay to longer then 50 milliseconds it starts being quite noticeable on quick client machines.

So - is there any way to get the table to properly show the records the first time?

Answers

• survalentsurvalent Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 1
    edited April 2015

Just discovered that my measurements for the required delay to get data to render varies by browsers - IE11 needs 1000ms delay to render.

Now I am stuck by either putting in a huge delay for all browsers, or making the page vary code by browser.

This discussion has been closed.