Chrome is sunsetting flash...is this going to be tricky?

Chrome is sunsetting flash...is this going to be tricky?

jhfrenchjhfrench Posts: 15Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited August 2016 in Free community support

Given that Google has announced the beginning of the end for flash, but that other browsers (particularly "legacy") have uneven support for the HTML5 functionality required by Buttons, what's a good way to implement DataTables' export functionality? Is there a Progressive Enhancement angle here?
I'm supporting an organization that still has some IE8 users, is transitioning to IE11, and has Chrome. How can I serve all these end users without trying to dictate their device/browser?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,122Questions: 1Answers: 10,397 Site admin

Assuming you have both the Flash and HTML5 button libraries for Buttons available on your page, Buttons will prefer the HTML5 button types, if the APIs needed for them are available. If they are not, it will fallback to Flash. If not Flash, then no button.

The key is to use the generic buttons (e.g. excel) rather than the specific ones (e.g. excelHtml5).

So it isn't progressive enhancement as such, but rather feature detection.

And as far as I am aware this is already handled by Buttons.

Allan

• allanallan Posts: 63,122Questions: 1Answers: 10,397 Site admin

ps. Worth noting that the one browser holding back the HTML5 export buttons is Safari, which can't reliably create local files. I really hope they address this in future.

And they say you can do everything in HTML that you can do in Flash...

Allan

This discussion has been closed.