Local/Offline Data Storage i.e. Google Chrome SQLite

Local/Offline Data Storage i.e. Google Chrome SQLite

JamesCanadaJamesCanada Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited February 2011 in General
Hi, I read some of the older posts regarding Google Gears, which I understand is now deprecated in favor of Google Chromes built-in SQLite. This makes Chrome look very attractive.

So I just thought I would ask if anyone has played with Chrome/SQLite or any other HTML5 local storage?

My thoughts are that a user gets a data dump from a server. Then they play with the data locally, picking, choosing, editing, adding stuff using DataTables and then save there modified version to the local data store for persistence and offline use.

I am not concerned with cross-browser support. Kind of bored designing to lowest common denominator. Since browsers are free, why not offer something superior to those "power users" willing to use an application optimized for a particular browser (Chrome).

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,075Questions: 1Answers: 10,384 Site admin
    I haven't tried it myself - nor have I seen a post in the forum about it - but it should most certainly be possible. Basically you need to use fnServerData to hijack the XHR and make a request to a custom function/script which will basically do the same as the server-side processing script, just with the local DB.

If you do follow through on this, perhaps you would be willing to share your code? :-). I'm more than happy to help trying to get it up and running, as it does sound like a very nice idea to be able to use the built in DB.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.