Forum question: Why am I not getting email notifications?

Forum question: Why am I not getting email notifications?

OsakaWebbieOsakaWebbie Posts: 12Questions: 2Answers: 0

I recently joined this forum, and got my first question successfully answered (yay, community!). But I never got any emails, either about creating the account in the first place or when I got replies to my question. No, there is nothing relevant in my Junk Folder. Here is a screenshot of my Notification Preferences:

I don't know what a "wall" is, but I think the type I should have gotten is "when people comment on my discussions". I also bookmarked my discussion, but that didn't help.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,143Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Hi @OsakaWebbie ,

It might be worth checking the wall and just seeing if that gets notifications coming through, but yep, I agree it shouldn't be needed. Notifications definitely work for me, and my settings (apart from the top two wall ones) are the same as yours.

Cheers,

Colin

• OsakaWebbieOsakaWebbie Posts: 12Questions: 2Answers: 0

Okay, I have now checked ALL checkboxes. But I think I figured out what the "wall" is (not the creepy Pink Floyd movie) - it's probably what I would call the user profile page. Under a form allowing me to "share" something (I'm not sure what that would be useful for - tech forums aren't social media), mine just says, "Not much happening here, yet." On yours, it shows usernames and dates of people who have supposedly written to you there (averaging around one a day - you're popular!), but all the usernames look auto-generated and no message content appears - that seems odd.

Back to the main point. Do you remember whether you got any email from the system when you first joined (Dec. 2017 according to your profile)? When I joined, I expected an email to confirm my address, or welcoming me to the community, or something. But there was nothing.

I'm sure my email address is correct. The first evidence of that is that the system picked up my avatar from somewhere without any clue of my identity other than the email address. Secondly, just to make absolutely sure, I copy/pasted the address from my DT Account Details page straight into a test email to myself.

Karen

edited December 2018

Hi @OsakaWebbie ,

I can't remember what I did last week, let alone last year :) If the email is correct, it should send - it will be interesting to see if you get a reply to this one.

Cheers,

Colin

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, but I keep emails pertaining to new accounts on stuff, partially just as evidence that I did sign up (helpful for accounts I don't use often).

Anyway, thanks for the test mail - as you should know by my reply, it went through, so there is nothing wrong with the forum system's record of my address. (And in case you're wondering, no, I did not get a notification of your comment on this thread; I only know about it because of the tiny number that appears on the globe icon under my username in the top right corner.) Next idea?

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

The first evidence of that is that the system picked up my avatar from somewhere without any clue of my identity other than the email address.

Yup - that's Gravatar and its e-mail address based - so they match.

I've just had the forum software send you a test e-mail. Did you get it?

Thanks,
    Allan

edited December 2018

Yes, Allan, I got that email.

It mentions "the Email page in the dashboard", but I can't find anything called a dashboard, nor anything about email appearance. But of course I don't really care about appearance - I just want something to notify me.

Let me know if you get a notification from this one...

And this one...

edited December 2018

Yay! I received one notification email, for http://datatables.net/forums/discussion/comment/144581#Comment_144581
    (the second of the comments you made). So you apparently fixed it.

Now, can you change my username back? Or will that break it again?

Answer ✓

Done - it should have sent you a verification email when you first registered, as you hadn't received it and verified the email, it was being blocked. Glad all sorted.

C

Thanks for fixing it. It's a mystery as to why I didn't get the verification email, but "stuff happens".

This discussion has been closed.