PDF Documentation

PDF Documentation

JimCJimC Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

Interested in licensing datatables.net editor but, I don't see any documentation in pdf (or similar format). I see what looks to be a comprehensive manual on a ton of web pages, but you need to click on so many links when you are starting out that you feel like you spend as much time clicking as you do reading. Unfortunately, I won't be able to subscribe to support at this time so I will need to be able to do everything on my own. Also, anything to fast track this with pointers to best practices, working mini-applications, etc. is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,146Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

That's right, all the documentation is on the website, we don't have a PDF manual.

The manual talks you through the installation and setup. The generator can help with that setup too. There are loads of examples that should get you going. And if you want to customise Editor, you can refer to the reference guide.

And if you're stuck, just post here. We and the community will be happy to help.

Hope that helps,

Colin

• CJRhoadsCJRhoads Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited November 2020

I understand not wanting to spend the time to produce a printable PDF of the manual, but I'd really like to be able to read this "off-screen". Although I can't afford any of the support options, I'd be willing to pay for a printable manual just to be able to read it off-screen.
    Would that be possible?
    How many pages would it be?

Failing that, can you give me any insights as to what to focus on? I am paying "real" developers who have already installed Datatables on my website. I'm primarily trying to read the manual in order to decide which features I want to ask the developers to include, and to see if I am able to use it myself for some side projects. (I'm just an amateur programmer.)

• colincolin Posts: 15,146Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Would that be possible?

It's definitely possible, it's just not a priority for us. As a small team, we focus on the areas that benefit the majority of users. And while the demand for a printable manual is there, the majority of users are happy with the online manual.

Failing that, can you give me any insights as to what to focus on?

That really depends on your data, your application and the experience you want for your users. The best would be to flick through the examples and see if that functionality is important for you and yours users.

Colin

This discussion has been closed.