dataTables LIGHT?

dataTables LIGHT?

korsakovkorsakov Posts: 15Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2009 in General
Hello Allan, Have you ever considered offering a very light version of dataTables like http://www.leigeber.com/2009/03/table-sorter/comment-page-4/#comment-8772? 2.5kb would be fantastic for my application. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,669Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    edited September 2009
    Hi korsakov,

I've certainly been thinking about the size of the library - and absolutely don't want it to get too big! This is shown by the amount of effort that has going into the extensive plug-in API support that DataTables offers, meaning that the core file can focus only on the core functionality, while advanced options are provided by plug-ins (additional sorting functions, TableTools, etc are all good examples of this).

One option I've very much been considering is making DataTables much more modular - but my concern is that this will impact speed. It's on the cards for future versions, if and when I get the time.

It would be interesting to know which features yourself and others in the community would be willing to have dropped from the core in order to make the library size smaller? Sorting? Filtering? Support for all four data sources?

Also, are you using the gzip-ed version of DataTables (it's included in the download zip file) and comes in at just 13K with the full range of functionality.

Regards,
    Allan
This discussion has been closed.