excel missing when viewed in iphone

excel missing when viewed in iphone

P4nk4j Sh4rm4P4nk4j Sh4rm4 Posts: 25Questions: 7Answers: 0
edited March 2017 in Free community support

Hi allan,
Can you please help in displaying excel icon in Iphone device. I have gone through the discussions but couldn't find the exact answer for my issue. My issue is - except excel icon remaining all others icons i.e., print & pdf are displayed perfectly in the screen. Can you please help me. Thanks in advance.

For clarification you can view this url(https://jsfiddle.net/Guruprasad_Rao/ym4wyc3s/) in iphone device you will find excel missing.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

Safari (and more generally WebKit) on iOS does not support the ability to create files and download them locally. Indeed iOS doesn't present the concept of a file system to the end user, so you couldn't do anything useful with them even if you could download them.

Allan

• P4nk4j Sh4rm4P4nk4j Sh4rm4 Posts: 25Questions: 7Answers: 0

Thanks for the quick response.

As you have mentioned in your reply that safari of IOS doesn't support such ability, but it still displays the remaining buttons except excel, may I know the reason.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm surprised that the PDF buttons shows. What happens if you click on any of those buttons? Print view should certainly work.

Allan

Yeah even I'm surprised too, when you said that IOS doesn't support such ability & when I click on print & pdf buttons it downloads me the data. What I want to say is when those buttons are working why not excel. Why am I having a problem with excel button. I know this is strange but can you suggest me the solution regarding excel visibility in the IOS device. If it doesn't support can you give me the exact reason behind not viewing only the excel button. I need to know so that i can clearly explain to my client whats happening actually when we view in IOS device. I hope you come out with a solution in your next reply.

Pankaj Sharma

Answer ✓

but can you suggest me the solution regarding excel visibility in the IOS device

Wait for Apple to update Webkit to support it. Even desktop Safari only just supports the APIs needed for the Excel button. See the system requirements in excelHtml5.

The simple fact is that it is not possible to have the Excel button in iOS at the moment, and even if you could, you couldn't do anything useful with the file that is created.

Allan

edited March 2017

Thank you for the information. Hope this would help me to clarify my client's doubt.

Thanks allan.

This discussion has been closed.