Exception error in postEdit event

Exception error in postEdit event

kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,186Questions: 26Answers: 4,925
edited April 2017 in Free community support

I use this event to reload the data from ajax after editing:

editor
        .on( 'postCreate postRemove postEdit', function () {
            // After create or edit, a number of other rows might have been effected -
            // so we need to reload the table, keeping the paging in the current position
            table.ajax.reload( null, false );
        } )

The reload is needed as other records may change when I edit one of the columns. I see the following in the browser's console after inline editing. This error doesn't occur with form editing.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'contents' of undefined
    at Editor.inline (dataTables.editor.js:2994)
    at dataTables.editor.js:2980
    at dataTables.editor.js:5655

Its referring to this line in the Editor:

// Remove from DOM, keeping event handlers, and include text nodes in remove
    var children = node.contents().detach();

Doesn't seem to cause any issues. I don't have the same problem with creating or removing rows. I tried adding the e, json, data parameters to the function but still get the error. Commenting the ajax.reload removes the error.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Kevin

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,252Questions: 1Answers: 10,420 Site admin
    Answer ✓

HI Kevin,

Try using submitComplete rather than the post* events.

The problem there is that you will run into a timing error - Editor's own draw action isn't triggered until after the post* events (I'm close to considering that a bug actually, even although it was by design...) - so depending on the network latency, the draw might have happened by the time you get the ajax response, or it might not! Editor is then referencing DOM elements which no longer exist, hence the error.

Hopefully just using that different event name should do it.

Regards,
    Allan

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,186Questions: 26Answers: 4,925

Unfortunately I get the same error with submitComplete. Interestingly I'm not able to inline edit once I get the error where before there seemed to be no problems with functionality.

I went back to using the post* events and added a 100ms delay using setTimeout. This works with no errors. Thanks for the pointer about the potential race condition. Those are the most fun to find and fix :smile:

Kevin

Are you able to give me a link to a page showing the error? I can take a look and see if I can figure out what is going wrong.

Allan

Unfortunately its not easy to provide access. Not sure there is a way to recreate on your live site since Editor needs to update a table. If that is possible i can try that.

If you have some ideas of what you want to look at I can try to capture them.

I'm ok with the setTimeout but if you think its an issue worth fixing for others I will do what I can. In my current environment MySql and all the JS and Python scripts are on the same box. I can probably lower the timeout but it seems ok.

Kevin

Sounds good - great to hear you have it working.

If you have the time, I think it would be interesting to know a little bit about the error. Could you tell me what version of Editor you are using and show me the full back trace from the error in the console? With that I'll have a think about what might cause the issue.

Thanks,
    Allan

Is this the trace back info you want?

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'contents' of undefined
        at Editor.inline (dataTables.editor.js:2994)
        at dataTables.editor.js:2980
        at dataTables.editor.js:5655
    Editor.inline   @   dataTables.editor.js:2994
    (anonymous) @   dataTables.editor.js:2980
    (anonymous) @   dataTables.editor.js:5655

If you need more detail from it let me know how to get it. I'm using Chrome / Mac.

I'm using Editor 1.6.1.

Let me know other info you may want.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.