How do I change the ajax parameters?

How do I change the ajax parameters?

princeofnaxosprinceofnaxos Posts: 26Questions: 9Answers: 0

I'm trying to change the parameters of the ajax() object, but it won't show an updated table. This is what I do:

mtable = $('#messagestable')
    .DataTable({
        ajax: {
            url: 'myfunction.php',
            data : { a: 1, b: 2 }
        }
            })

Now I want to use the same url, just with changed parameters, e.g. { a: 1, b: 3 }. With mtable.ajax.params({ a: 1, b: 3 }), I seem to be able to change the parameters, because mtable.ajax.params() gives me the new ones. But when I run mtable.ajax.reload(), nothing changes and mtable.ajax.params() gives me the old parameters.

Do I make a mistake, or is this simply not working?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,332Questions: 1Answers: 10,436 Site admin

Hi,

As the ajax.params() documentation notes, it can be used to get parameters only - not set them.

To set them what you need to do is use ajax.data as a function. That way the function is executed every time an Ajax call is made and the values can be resolved by your function.

Allan

• princeofnaxosprinceofnaxos Posts: 26Questions: 9Answers: 0

Ok, thanks, that clarifies it.

But then I just have to do table.ajax.reload()? Or which command do I need to get it working?

It doesn't work.... I took this example:

$('#example').dataTable( {
    "ajax": {
    "url": "data.json",
    "data": function ( d ) {
    d.extra_search = $('#extra').val();
    }
    }
    } );

but that throws a 'Cannot reinitialise DataTable' error...

• allanallan Posts: 63,332Questions: 1Answers: 10,436 Site admin

but that throws a 'Cannot reinitialise DataTable' error...

That is correct - you have you put your ajax initialisation in with your first DataTables initialisation. See this section of the manual.

Allan

• luisrortegaluisrortega Posts: 79Questions: 6Answers: 1

I'm not sure the outcome of this case... I'm having a similar problem trying to change the "data" param of the ajax object...

$("#customer_history00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000-table").DataTable({retrieve: true, "ajax": {
    "url": "/Data/Grids",
    "type": "POST",
    "data": function ( d ) {
    d.TableName = "s_signal_history";
    d.CustomerId = 'dsf';
    d.FilterField = 'fdf';
    }}}).ajax.reload();

or

$("#customer_history00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000-table").DataTable({retrieve: true}).ajax.data = function ( d ) {
    d.TableName = "s_signal_history";
    d.CustomerId = 'dsf';
    d.FilterField = 'fdf';
    };

$("#customer_history00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000-table").DataTable({retrieve: true}).ajax.reload();
    _
    I'm not sure how to change the data function after the object has been created!

This discussion has been closed.