DataTables Licence not included if using the download page? - is copyright header enough?

DataTables Licence not included if using the download page? - is copyright header enough?

greenman123greenman123 Posts: 15Questions: 7Answers: 0

I use the DataTables download page to add the packages I require for my project and then use the 'Download' tab at the bottom to receive the files to put in my project. I put the full DataTable folder that's been extracted into my project /libraries/ folder. Upon looking into the folder I received it does not include the licence agreement file for MIT which (unless my understanding is wrong) I need to include in my project as per the licence?

Maybe the line about keeping the copyright agreement on https://datatables.net/license/ is enough? I just thought you had to include the actual licence file directly in your project?

Also after looking at the licencing page I'm pretty sure it means I can use it in a commercial proejct (I want to sell something which uses datatables) but just wanted to treble check this is the case.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,330Questions: 1Answers: 10,436 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Maybe the line about keeping the copyright agreement on https://datatables.net/license/ is enough?

This. The download builder actually brings in multiple different libraries, including from thirdparty sources, so a single license file probably won't be right (unless it included all individual license files itself). However, to my mind having a license file on the web-server is a little pointless, since no one would know it was there (other than lucky guess at the URL). Having the copyright notice embedded in the code was my intention with this and I think the correct way.

Also after looking at the licencing page I'm pretty sure it means I can use it in a commercial proejct

Correct :). See also the licensing FAQs.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.