Why is filtering/searching not firing the Processing event?

Why is filtering/searching not firing the Processing event?

GripGrip Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0

I've set up the processing dialog in my table definition and the message comes up fine when I sort a column. Unfortunately, the processing event doesn't fire when I use the search box or programatically filter the columns. The reference manual says "This event is fired when DataTables is doing some kind of processing - be it, sorting, filtering or any other kind of data processing".
Am I wrong to assume that it should fire for search or filtering? I know that the column filtering is really column searching so I figured the search box should also fire the processing event. I was also wondering if paging should fire the processing event?
Thanks.

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

Hi @Grip ,

Yep, that's a known issue (DD-797 for my reference). I've added this thread to the issue, and I'll report back here when there's an update. Sorry for the inconvenience,

Cheers,

Colin

Hi @Grip ,

I was mistaken about the known issue, could you verify please whether you're using serverSide?

Cheers,

Colin

• GripGrip Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited November 2019

I am not using server side processing. Thanks for the reply also. It's appreciated.

So I may have another piece of this puzzle. I had an event listener set up for search but not for sorting/ordering. The processing dialog worked for ordering until I added an event listener for ordering. After that, it no longer worked either. Do I have to define my listener routines a different way so they chain to the processing event? Here's the one listener.
    $('#' + CLTableName).DataTable().on('search.dt', function () {
    var tableDiv = document.getElementById('divTableWrapper');
    if (tableDiv != null) {
    tableDiv.scrollTop = 0;
    }
    });

Ok. Ignore my last post. I just retested my code and the progress dialog does in fact still work with the ordering event listener in my code.

• allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
    Answer ✓

@Grip - You might be interested in my reply on this topic here.

Allan

Ok. Saw your post. So because the search on the client side is synchronous, the processing dialog doesn't work. Am I correct in stating that there is no intent to fix this in the foreseeable future?

Answer ✓

Not in the near-future, certainly. It's in the backlog but it's not a priority right now.

Colin

Ok. Thanks @allan and @colin for clearing this up for me. I appreciate the help.

This discussion has been closed.