Performance : is datatables only optimized for computers ?

Performance : is datatables only optimized for computers ?

yericusyericus Posts: 20Questions: 4Answers: 1

Hi,

I used datatables last year to easily display a list of data for my wife's veterinary clinic.

The problem is performance.
The main database has 900 entries, pagination set to 10.

Now on my computer, the page is displayed in a second or something, too fast to notice any slowdown.
Now on my high end android phone is 8gb of memory and an octacore whatever cpu, well i am doing the test right now and the page loads in 30 seconds oO.

On my old iphone 6, it's about the same or worse.
I put a pi 4 with 4gb memory at the clinic for basic office work and email, and loading this page takes about the same amount of time : 20 to 30 seconds.

So my question is : is datatables only optimized for proper computers ?
The difference between my laptop performance and any other device is frustrating, any experience on the subject would be welcome.

Best wishes to all in these times.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

The optimisations are generic to all devices. This section of the FAQ should help, it discusses various techniques to improve performance.

If that doesn't help, we're happy to take a look, but as per the forum rules, please link to a test case - a test case that replicates the issue will ensure you'll get a quick and accurate response. Information on how to create a test case (if you aren't able to link to the page you are working on) is available here.

Cheers,

Colin

• yericusyericus Posts: 20Questions: 4Answers: 1

I think my performance issues mostly had to do with my data being parsed in a html table directly.

Browsers had very different performance when that was the case. Switching to json format sources made things way better.

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Yep, that would do it. Glad sorted,

Colin

This discussion has been closed.