Editor as FTP environment

Editor as FTP environment

jalapejalape Posts: 117Questions: 2Answers: 1

Good morning,
I hope you are well, in this current situation.
I am trying to create an environment in which users (students) can download folders with files, using FTP.
The question is, if you could use Datatable Editor to create such an environment.
If so, there is a reference in this regard.
Thank you.

Replies

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,806Questions: 85Answers: 406

Does it really have to be FTP? It is very easy to create a data table, upload documents with Editor and then download the docs by clicking on them in the data table. But that is HTTPS not FTP.

https://editor.datatables.net/examples/advanced/upload-many

This is an example; you can up and download anything by the way. Not just images, but also zip-archives containing the folders you are mentioning above.

• jalapejalape Posts: 117Questions: 2Answers: 1

Thanks for answering,
    I was thinking of a Dropbox or Google Drive type environment: drag folders and the user could download them.

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,806Questions: 85Answers: 406

Ok, then I recommend you use those services. Why reinvent the wheel? Google Drive is free up to a certain amount of data. It's easy to share folders with students and they can add their stuff, too. I am doing this too with my co workers ... But I also have an upload service based on Editor which my clients use to upload confidential documents. I make sure that my service is hosted on local servers only.

If the idea is to have more control. I will keep looking for the way.
    Thank you

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,270Questions: 26Answers: 4,765

Are you wanting to upload to Datatables/Editor or Download from the Datatables/Editor?

To upload folders to Datatables/Editor I've used Dropzone.js. I can provide some code snippets if this is what you are wanting to do. To download from Datatables/Editor would require a different process which I haven't looked at yet.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for answering:
    Actually, I need both, from the Datatable Editor, I need the administrator to be able to load folders. On the other hand, the user from an environment needs that he can download content without being able to modify or delete it.
    If you have any way of doing the first, I appreciate it.
    I have found a library in Codecanyon that allows you to upload and download files, but not complete folders at the moment. I think it would not be difficult to integrate it into the structure I have with Datatable:
    https://codecanyon.net/item/vue-file-manager-with-laravel-backend/25815986

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,270Questions: 26Answers: 4,765

With dropzone.js I have the user select the row they want to drop the files into then enable the dropzone. They drop the files which are written into a directory structure on the server. The row data contains a list of all the files with their path.

To download from the server I would look at just selecting the row to upload then use code (not sure what) to download the file(s) for the user. You can use the Select extension for the row selection.

Datatables might not be the solution you want to display the files in a directory structure like in the link you posted. Although you probably could make it work but unless you have other row data you want to display it might be overkill.

Kevin

Thank you, I'll have it in mind

This discussion has been closed.