Virtual scroller for both rows and columns

Virtual scroller for both rows and columns

WngWng Posts: 12Questions: 2Answers: 0

I have a large dataset which need to show people as rows and dates as columns. I wonder if it's possible to use Scroller for virtual scrolling both vertically and horizontally. Has anyone ever used Scroller in this case? Thanks in advance.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

This example shows both horizontal and vertical scroll - is that what you're after?

Colin

• WngWng Posts: 12Questions: 2Answers: 0

@colin Thanks for the answer. I would like to ask virtual scrolling both horizontally and vertically that I didn't seem to find from the example. Scroller is great for a large number of rows, but how about a large number of columns?

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I'm afraid that we don't currently have support for virtual scrolling of columns in DataTables at this time.

Allan

@allan Thanks for the clarification. Is there any good alternatives to display a large number of columns? For example, is it possible to display pagination for columns, and when click next or previous from the current page, columns in the other pages are destroyed?

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

You could certainly do that with the Buttons extension. This example here shows how you can group columns. Alternatively, you could have a custom button, or your own button, that calls columns().visible() that cycles through the columns hiding/showing them in blocks.

Colin

@colin Thank you for the suggestion. I would certainly try that.

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin

It is worth noting that I don't think you'll get any performance improvement from doing that, but depending on the application it might look a lot better. How many columns are you looking at here?

Allan

@allan Hi, I'm sorry for leaving your question for so long. I was busy with another project and abandoned this issue, but now I'm back with this. I might have up to 365 columns as days in a year and around 1200 rows as a number of people.