Auto-select text for all editor instances

Auto-select text for all editor instances

aaron.dunigan.atleeaaron.dunigan.atlee Posts: 20Questions: 7Answers: 0

I've got an app with tens of Editor instances across several pages, using both inline and main editors.

I want to auto-select the text in any text field when a user clicks to edit it, as described here:
https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/24740/selection-of-text-in-inline-editor

But I want to apply this across all my Editor instances. Is there a simple way (e.g. by updating the Editor code) to make this the default behavior?

My working solution is to register this listener on all pages:

$(document).on('focus', '.DTE_Field input[type="text"]', function () { this.select() })

That seems to do the trick (except I'll need a slightly different selector to include text fields with attr: {type: 'number'}, and maybe some other edge cases), but I'm wondering if there's a cleaner way to approach this via the Editor API or with a quick change to the Editor code?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,619Questions: 1Answers: 10,089 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I think you've hit upon the best option at this time. I could look into providing an onFocus option for the form-options object in future though, which would basically do the same thing.

Allan

• bobfordbobford Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

This is not currently possible with DataTables Editor. You can however use the select() API method to select the text in a single instance of an Editor.

• allanallan Posts: 61,619Questions: 1Answers: 10,089 Site admin

@bobford Are you referring to the select() method shown in the original post (which is a DOM method, not Editor specific), or some other method?

Allan