Huge speed problem on iPad (perf of "fnCallback")...

Huge speed problem on iPad (perf of "fnCallback")...

tommcktommck Posts: 73Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited August 2011 in DataTables 1.8
I am using DataTables 1.8.1 (tried 1.8.2.nightly as well) with the Scroller plugin. When I load data, it is grabbing 39 rows of data (total of 9 columns) from the server (using bServerSide=true and ajax).

On Desktop Safari, the call to fnCallback takes, on average, about 250ms. On iPad Safari, it takes approximately 3000ms.

Is there anything obvious or simple that could be going on that would cause this kind of speed problem on the iPad? I know the browser is different and slower, but I didn't expect a > 10 times difference running DataTables functions there.

Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated!

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,277Questions: 1Answers: 10,424 Site admin
    Wow - that really is super slow! 3 seconds to do the draw callback?! All the callback does when using Scroller is position the table and set the height of the forcing element - I'd be amazed if that took 3 seconds. Is there a Javascript profiler on the iPad that could say a little more specifically what is taking up the time. Otherwise it might be a case of putting in some "new Date()" debug statements.

Allan
  • tommcktommck Posts: 73Questions: 0Answers: 0
    The "new Date()" statements is how I timed it :)

I don't know of any other profilers...
    I remember seeing somewhere on the Forums that you make some "eval" versus other methods choices based on browsers. Is there anything like that in the redraw code that I might tweak to see if it is the problem?
  • fbasfbas Posts: 1,094Questions: 4Answers: 0
    http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html

[quote]
    JavaScript Profiler
    Optimize your JavaScript code using the state-of-the-art JavaScript Profiler in the Profiles pane. The Profiler lists the performance characteristics of each of your script’s functions, making it easy to pinpoint problem areas and drill down to the offending lines of code.[/quote]

Ipad's Safari has a profiler. Safari is WebKit (hey! DataTables example tables came in handy!) and probably has same/similar debugger as Chrome.
    That is referring to the desktop Safari browser. You do not have access to anything but the Console output on the iPad. I already put a method in to proxy debugging messages to my server from the iPad so I can see the debug output...
    oh :| sorry. maybe this? YUI js-only profile library.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6160073/profile-javascript-on-ios
    looks like the "scrolling" draw callback (_fnSCrollDraw) is taking ~ 1000ms
    Also, the loop to draw the rows inside _fnDraw is taking ~1400ms

I'll dig in more
    So, from the fnScrollDraw stuff, here are the outliers...

1) the if/else block starting with "if (o.oScroll.sX === "") takes 231ms
    2) the if block starting with "if (o.nTFoot !== null)" takes 297ms
    3) The block starting with the comment "Recalculate the sanity width " and ending with "$(anHeadSizers).height(0);" takes 316ms
    Inside the row drawing logic,

"_fnCreateTr" logic took 930ms
    "_rowCallbacks" took 398ms (I know this is my logic)
    Keep in mind that this is only 39 rows of data!
    So, anybody have any ideas on this?

It's pretty much a show stopper for code that should already have been in production at this point. I'd really appreciate any hints/help I can get
    sorry, i have 0 experience on, or access to, iPad.

is there a "virtual" iPad you can test on, that gives you more info on system internals and debugging/profiling?
    unfortunately, there's only a really crappy emulator that only runs on Macs. Doesn't help.
  • beltrachibeltrachi Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Hey Tommck, how did you solve this?

I'm having issues with Ipad perfomance too and the measures i get are really akward.

Thanks
  • GregPGregP Posts: 500Questions: 10Answers: 0
    edited September 2011
    We would like to be more responsive on the iPad as well, so any information anyone has would be appreciated on this end, too.

I'm willing to believe it's really up to Apple to come up with something that performs better, but in the meantime a snappier application is a better one. ;-)
  • beltrachibeltrachi Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    In my case I found the reason. It was my CSS.

I found the answer in http://mir.aculo.us/2010/06/04/making-an-ipad-html5-app-making-it-really-fast/

My solution has been this one: https://github.com/gnuine/ubiquo_core/commit/37287fb77ae779d1ddb250add0a0b60ca73c73ab

Good luck!
    Been working on it. When I get in front of a PC, I'll try to write up what I know so far..

T
    Generally, I have noticed that the speed on the iPad is mostly due to non-DataTables stuff. The browser does not have a huge memory cache and the process is way slower than PCs.

So, basically, it's pure web dev optimization like:
    * Favor single jQuery delegate() calls to binding events in the fnRowCallback or something like that
    * Cache images if you can. (Make sure your server-side code is set up for far-future caching of any images you can).
    * Minify/combine JS, etc
  • GregPGregP Posts: 500Questions: 10Answers: 0
    Great, thanks for reporting back, Tom, and also beltrachi for the CSS tips and links. Gives me something to start on for snappier iPad performance.
    No problem. I am also almost done with a tweaked version of Allan's Scroller Plugin that uses Matteo Spinelli's iScroll-4 script to allow on finger scrolling with acceleration, momentum, etc. It's pretty sweet, actually... :)

When it's done, Allan said he'd post it here in "Extras"
This discussion has been closed.