Modifying state saving after initialisation

Modifying state saving after initialisation

maxouelletmaxouellet Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited March 2012 in General
Hi,

I have a table for which I want to save state. However, depending on the user's actions, only specific elements need to be saved. I'm pretty sure I need to use the fnStateSaveParams callback function, but I can't figure out how to modify this function after the DataTable initialisation.

For example, I initialise the table so that filtering and pagination are not saved by default:

[code]
var clientsTable;

$(document).ready(function () {
clientsTable = $('#clientsTable').dataTable({
/* Set state saving */
"bStateSave": true,
"fnStateSaveParams": function (oSettings, oData) {
oData.oSearch.sSearch = "";
oData.iStart = 0;
}
} );
});
[/code]

And then I want a JS function to modify fnStateSaveParams so that, if a user perform a certain action, filtering and pagination will be saved for the DataTable.

I've tried the following code (and multiple variants) to no avail:

[code]
function test() {
var oSettings = clientsTable.fnSettings();
oSettings.aoStateSaveParams.push( {
"fnStateSaveParams": null
} )
}
[/code]

Is there any way to modify fnStateSaveParams? I guess I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your help!
Max

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,186Questions: 1Answers: 10,411 Site admin
    Can you just call a function inside your fnStateSaveParams closure function that will figure out if the state saving modification is needed or not? Alternative you can bind a custom event listener (and thus unbind when you don't need it) listening for the stateSaveParams event - for example $(table).bind( 'stateSaveParams', function (e, settings, data) {...} ) - event docs: http://datatables.net/docs/DataTables/1.9.0/#stateSaveParams

Allan
  • maxouelletmaxouellet Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks for your answer!

Good ideas, but I think I can't do that in my case, since I only know what to save when the user leaves the page. Simple similar example: a page that has a "Leave page saving state partially" button and a "Leave page saving state completely" button.

I believe the source of the issue is that states are saved as soon as changes are made to the datatable. I guess a working solution would be to remove saved elements from the cookie if they are not needed. Is there any way to do that through DataTables?
  • maxouelletmaxouellet Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited March 2012
    Ok, for anyone interested, after playing around with the code, here's the solution I came up with.

I put an onClick function, called test in this case, on my buttons which toggle a boolean variable (this could potentially support more boolean variables if you want to support more possibilities):

[code]
    function test() {
    saveAll = true;
    }
    [/code]

Then, I register on the $(window).unload event using JQuery to save the cookie I want with the desired information. In my case, by default, I don't save the filter content and the current page. However, if the saveAll flag is set to true, I just resave the cookie using the following method (which is a modified version of _fnSaveState):

[code]
    $(window).unload(function () {
    if (saveAll) {
    var oSettings = clientsTable.fnSettings();
    var i, iLen, bInfinite = oSettings.oScroll.bInfinite;
    var oState = {
    "iCreate": new Date().getTime(),
    "iStart": (bInfinite ? 0 : oSettings._iDisplayStart),
    "iEnd": (bInfinite ? oSettings._iDisplayLength : oSettings._iDisplayEnd),
    "iLength": oSettings._iDisplayLength,
    "aaSorting": $.extend(true, [], oSettings.aaSorting),
    "oSearch": $.extend(true, {}, oSettings.oPreviousSearch),
    "aoSearchCols": $.extend(true, [], oSettings.aoPreSearchCols),
    "abVisCols": []
    };
    for (i = 0, iLen = oSettings.aoColumns.length; i < iLen; i++) {
    oState.abVisCols.push(oSettings.aoColumns[i].bVisible);
    }
    oSettings.fnStateSave.call(oSettings.oInstance, oSettings, oState);
    }
    });
    [/code]

Obviously, some clean-up still needs to be done, but at least it works! Thank for your help Allan.
  • allanallan Posts: 63,186Questions: 1Answers: 10,411 Site admin
    NIce one - thanks for sharing your solution with us :-)

Allan
This discussion has been closed.