Request for reviews/feedback

Request for reviews/feedback

Dave_LDave_L Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited December 2013 in General
Hi,

I've put together the following proof of concept site for accessing scientific data about dust/sediment:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lec/sites/dirtmap/hw.html

The site has a number of issues with DataTables that I can't quite work out on my own:

1) I couldn't get the clicked row to highlight.

2) The table heading background extends to the edge of the browser window.

Any suggestions with these two issues would be much appreciated.
Also, please feel free to make any comments about the site in general. I'm an enthusiast for bringing web programming into science applications within an open source philosophy (but I'm not an expert programmer!).

Many thanks

David

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,208Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    1. The clicked row is already getting a class: `DTTT_selected` , so you just need to use that class to highlight the row. Have you included the TableTools CSS? It doesn't look like it - I think that would resolve the issue.

2. Use `width="100%"` ont he HTML table. If you want it to draw in a smaller space, make the container element smaller.

Regards,
    Allan
  • Dave_LDave_L Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    That's great Allan, I've got (1) sorted: as you noticed I hadn't included the TableTools.css.
    Still working on (2). I'm working out exactly what the container element is!

Many thanks

D
    I wasn't clear - sorry! The wrapper element, is the DOM element which the table is in - on your page you have: a div with the ID of `explanation_text` . So you could do something like:

[code]
    #explanation_text {
    width: 960px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }
    [/code]

That will make the container, which has all of the information, minus your dirt map logo, 960 pixels wide and be centre aligned (which you might or might not want, remove the margin if not).

You asked for other feedback :-). I would perhaps move the instructions above the map as the layout looks a little odd at the moment.

Nice interface your developed to some interesting data there!

Allan
  • Dave_LDave_L Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Ahhh! I see. Thanks that really explains it. Much appreciate the help. I've added a link to DataTables btw - how rude I hadn't done that already!

Many thanks

David
    > I've added a link to DataTables btw - how rude I hadn't done that already!

Its not required - but thanks :-)

Allan
This discussion has been closed.