Datatables for the absolute beginner. I'm not sure where to start.

Datatables for the absolute beginner. I'm not sure where to start.

DemetriDemetri Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited December 2013 in General
Greetings!

To start off I absolutely love this plugin and now that I have found it It's exactly what I need for my site. My problem is I am a PHP programmer. I know very little about jQuery and therefore not sure how to set this up for my own site.

If at all possible could anyone point me in the right direction? I would be absolutely grateful! Need to know where to start, how to implement it, etc,. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,106Questions: 1Answers: 10,394 Site admin
    The getting started blog post is probably the first point of contact: http://datatables.net/blog/Getting_started_with_DataTables%3A_First_steps .

I'm in the process of updating all the documentation to make it much easier to get going in future.

Allan
  • DemetriDemetri Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I did a google "site: search for a how to guide but didn't find one. However, the link you have provided was exactly what I need! Thanks thanks and thanks! =)

Quick Question. I am new to JavaScript so It's a learn as you go kinda thing. (I know HTML, CSS, PHP/MySQL) I was able to and changed the value in the "show results" drop down menu in the top left. of the table. Changed it to "20, 50, 100, 200" rather than it's previous of "10, 25, 50, 100." When I reload the page tho it only loads 10 I have to select 20 from the drop down. Where is the default value of 10 located so that I may change it to 20 or whatever value I like?

Again thanks so much!!
  • tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,365Questions: 39Answers: 395
    "iDisplayLength":20 (e.g.) in your dataTable initialisation.
    Sweet, thanks. Did a search in the code, found it, changed it, now I'm in business. =)
    You might find http://datatables.net/ref useful for searching for parameters.

Allan
    Thanks for the link and info but everything in that reference in lost to me. This datatable is a task and a half for me. lol. I have it working great but only in it's most basic form. Looking at all of the options it has though makes me sad. I am under utilizing it. Any advice on how I should go about learning a way to use all of it's options? Thanks.
    Hang about for about another week perhaps, if you are willing - I'm working on new documentation that I think will help... :-)

Allan
This discussion has been closed.