Should I be using 1.10 or stick with 1.9?

Should I be using 1.10 or stick with 1.9?

mihomesmihomes Posts: 165Questions: 23Answers: 0
edited December 2013 in General
I am in the process of creating a new site with extensive DataTable usage... I have a ways to go yet before the site will be in production... just wondering if I should go ahead and start working with 1.10 now rather than 1.94? How far away is 1.10 from being 'released'? I am trying to limit extensive changing down the road. It doesn't make much sense to me to do all this work with 1.94 only to be changing it extensively soon after.

Any information would be helpful. From the brief time I looked at 1.10 it seems to be quite different than current, however, I am a little concerned about there being no documentation/examples yet to help me along the way.

Replies

• mihomesmihomes Posts: 165Questions: 23Answers: 0
    Anyone? Allan if you see this could you pass some advice or possibly when you expect 1.10 to be 'released' including docs and examples?
  • allanallan Posts: 63,161Questions: 1Answers: 10,406 Site admin
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been traveling this week.

Personally, I'd use 1.10 - as its new API is the way forward for DataTables as a whole. However, as you note, there is currently no documentation for 1.10's new API... I'm actively working on that as fast as possible and hope to have a preview up early next week. If you can wait that long, I'd go with that.

1.10.0 release is going to be about a month after the beta is released, so perhaps mid-February.

Allan
    I noticed the traveling message after posting - sorry about that and hope the holidays treated you well!

Thanks for the information Allan... I think I will take a look at 1.10 again today and see if its something I might be able to work with. I guess the other question I should have asked is if the plugins will be updated as well... in particular TableTools when 1.10 is out?
    Yes - I'm planning to release the plug-ins before the 1.10 beta is out. The "nightly" versions are all compatible with DataTables 1.10 already.

Allan
    Thanks. I have some time available tonight so I think I will play around with it and see what happens..
    Just tried server-side with 1.10. I am not getting any errors, but the table is showing ALL rows from the db. The funny thing is the info (showing x to x of x entries) is correct and changes correctly when I do a search or use pagination, but the table still shows all rows. Even if I do the sort records and choose 50 for example the information area will be showing 1-50, but all 300+ rows (in my case) are shown.

Any ideas? I did not modify the server-side processing script or the ssp.class.php other than entering my own db connection settings.
    Scratch that... I was using old naming in the table initialization like sAjaxSource and bProcessing... changed those to the new names and it works as expected.
    edited January 2014
    To explain what is happening here, DataTables 1.10 uses a more modern approach for sending the parameters needed for server-side processing when the `ajax` option is specified. The new ssp.class.php script uses this new method.

The old method is still available and will automatically be used when sAjaxSource is used as the parameter to specify the Ajax URL. It can also be enabled using `$.fn.dataTable.ext.legacy.ajax = true;` .

As such, it is fully backwards compatible, but if you update to use `ajax` then you must also update the server-side scripts (unless you specify the legacy flag).

This is noted in the documentation I have been writing for 1.10, which will be published soon.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.