Data Tables not visible on Windows XP PC

Data Tables not visible on Windows XP PC

jrmcintoshjrmcintosh Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I have been really impressed with this plugin so far.

My datatables are working accurately on Windows 7, Mac OSX, Windows 8, and Windows 10 in all browsers. I don't have a WinXP machine but have a remote colleague who says he can't see my datatables on either Chrome or IE via WinXP. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. Any suggestions?

Here is the link to the page, the tables are about midway down:
http://ggcircuit.com/newgg/player-logged-out.html

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• jLinuxjLinux Posts: 981Questions: 73Answers: 75

Lol, who the hell uses windows xp? Why dont you support Win 2000 or Win Nt while youre at it? Hahaha

And more important than the OS, what browsers is your XP buddy using? Did you see if those browsers were supported by DataTables, or the company that made them?

Why are you trying to support something that you had a hard time even finding a beta tester for..?

• allanallan Posts: 63,161Questions: 1Answers: 10,406 Site admin
    Answer ✓

The issue here is in fact the OS - Windows XP does not support SNI for SSL. This isn't an issue for DataTables itself, but it is for the CDN - which is where the files are being pulled from on your page.

The CDN uses CloudFlare which uses SNI so they can serve the content for multiple domains from just a hand full of IP addresses. It wouldn't be possible to provide their service without SNI, and I couldn't provide a CDN without CloudFlare (or someone similar).

XP is dead to Microsoft and SNI will never be implemented in the OS. This impacts all host browsers (although I had thought Chrome has implemented their own - perhaps they removed it, or I recall incorrectly?).

The fix is to host the files on your own server rather than using the DataTables CDN (assuming your server doesn't use SSL - if it does, then likely you'll also need to use SNI or buy a dedicated IP...).

Allan

• jrmcintoshjrmcintosh Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Allan for the helpful answer. Agreed that XP is dead, my colleague has a hard time letting go. :)

He DID however use Firefox on XP and it worked fine. So I'm just going to run with what I have and not worry about it. Again, much appreciated.

Well, good luck coding all your apps around your colleague, lol

This discussion has been closed.