DataTable Blocking jQuery Tooltip

DataTable Blocking jQuery Tooltip

thecountofzerothecountofzero Posts: 21Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited February 2010 in General
I am trying to use another jQuery plugin named jQuery Tools Tooltip to create tooltips for data
in certain cells with the DataTable.

The problem is the tooltip is appearing behind the DataTable, rendering its contents useless. Is
there a way a setting within the DataTable that will fix this?

Here is a link to the Tooltip plugin:
http://flowplayer.org/tools/index.html

Here is a link to a screen shot showing the issue:
http://www.malamoney.com/tooltip-blocked.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,192Questions: 1Answers: 10,412 Site admin
    Hi Mike,

Looks like a CSS issue - or possibly more likely a problem with IE's CSS handling. I see you are using IE7 - does it work as expected in IE8 / Safari / Chrome / Firefox / Opera / whatever? If it's not a zIndex issue, then it's likely a float issue in IE7. I'd suggest playing with zoom:1 and the float attributes - but it's difficult to say exactly what would fix it!

Allan
  • thecountofzerothecountofzero Posts: 21Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Allan,

Thanks for the quick response. Let me first say that DataTables is a great piece of code.

I am seeing this behavior in both IE7 and FF 3.5.7. I do not have IE8 installed.

Unfortunately CSS issues are a rather weak area of my knowledge, but I will try and see what I can figure
    out. Can you possibly elaborate on "playing with zoom:1 and the float attributes".

Thanks,
    Mike
  • allanallan Posts: 63,192Questions: 1Answers: 10,412 Site admin
    If you are seeing this in Firefox - then the 'zoom' trick isn't going to help...

Since you have Firefox available, I'd suggest using Firebug and poking around with the CSS attributes. Switch them on and off to see what makes a diference and alter then on the page. zIndex is the obvious one to look at - but I don't think the demo css sets that for DataTables...

Allan
  • thecountofzerothecountofzero Posts: 21Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited February 2010
    Playing with the Z-index fixed my problem...

Thanks again,
    Mike
  • justStevejustSteve Posts: 49Questions: 8Answers: 1
    Gotta throw a comment here just to make sure this statement says within my account

> Playing with the Z-index fixed my problem...

there's something really meta about that.
  • daniel_rdaniel_r Posts: 460Questions: 4Answers: 67
    I know this thread is old, but I'll try anyway,

Any chance to share the code of adding jQuery Tools Tooltip to datatables?

Thanks ahead!

Daniel.
  • fledeboerfledeboer Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I also have the same problems but interestingly only in FF and it's driving me mad. The tooltip doesn't reposition and stick at the same place the whole time.
  • dmolavidmolavi Posts: 65Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i'm using these two successfully at http://www.gallerymodules.com/ You can see the implementation in the source of the page.
This discussion has been closed.