Bootstrap table responsive popover clipping

Bootstrap table responsive popover clipping

alenbalenb Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0
edited June 2016 in Free community support

Here's a fiddle which illustrates the problem: https://jsfiddle.net/ujj3zkdq/

Answers

• alenbalenb Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0

This becomes a huge issue on mobile. Is there no fix for this at all?

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

I don't believe this is a DataTables issue I'm afraid, but rather one in Bootstrap. bootstrap uses:

@media screen and (max-width: 767px)
    .table-responsive {
        width: 100%;
        margin-bottom: 15px;
        overflow-y: hidden;
        -ms-overflow-style: -ms-autohiding-scrollbar;
        border: 1px solid #ddd;
    }
    .table-responsive {
        min-height: .01%;
        overflow-x: auto;
    }

If you remove the two overflow statements, it works as expected.

You can reproduce the issue without DataTables: https://jsfiddle.net/ujj3zkdq/1/ . I've just added a row and col-sm-12 into the responsive table. I'm guessing Bootstrap's responsive tables possibly were not designed to be used like that.

Allan

• alenbalenb Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0
    edited July 2016

That's the purpose of .table-responsive within Bootstrap. It allows the table to work on mobile. Removing the overflow defeats the purpose.

I don't believe this is a DataTables issue I'm afraid, but rather one in Bootstrap. bootstrap uses:

You can reproduce the issue without DataTables: https://jsfiddle.net/ujj3zkdq/1/ . I've just added a row and col-sm-12 into the responsive table.

Seems like Datatables is doing something it shouldn't be then. Why use row/cols inside a responsive wrapper that's only meant to be used with tables?

I'm guessing Bootstrap's responsive tables possibly were not designed to be used like that.

Bit of a cliffhanger moment. Any ideas for a workaround?

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Yes, use dom and have it not use Bootstrap's rows and columns markup. The dom documentation shows the default string for Bootstrap.

Seems like Datatables is doing something it shouldn't be then. Why use row/cols inside a responsive wrapper that's only meant to be used with tables?

Its being used inside a div container - DataTables doesn't know that it is in a responsive table container. Perhaps it need a check for that, but then it wouldn't be able to correctly layout the search box etc. Perhaps a better fix would be to use:

dom: 
      "<'row'<'col-sm-6'l><'col-sm-6'f>>" +
      "<'row'<'col-sm-12'<'responsive't>r>>" +
      "<'row'<'col-sm-5'i><'col-sm-7'p>>",

(yes it hurts the eyes - sorry). Basically that will put the table in a responsive class div inside the structure that DataTables controls. So you would still just have <table> rather than the responsive container.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.