TableTools without Flash

TableTools without Flash

pshoegpshoeg Posts: 9Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited May 2012 in TableTools
Hi there,

I've looked around in the forum, and noticed that some people have asked if it was possible to use TableTools without Flash. I'm very interested in that as well. I don't need the file to download, just that it opens it in the browser — would that make it easier? It would be awesome to be able to open and save the PDFs on an iPad.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,210Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    The other threads that you found should say that currently, no, this is not an option that TableTools provides. The Flash option is used to provide cross browser / platform ability to save files entirely on the client-side - that option simply isn't available in older browsers (IE6, IE7 etc) where there is no support for the data:// protocol and local file system interaction options.

It would most certainly be possible to add this ability to TableTools, but I'm afraid I haven't yet had an opportunity to do so. It is on the road map though.

Allan
  • pshoegpshoeg Posts: 9Questions: 0Answers: 0
    It would be really sweet — just found out the majority of the users of this project are using IE7 without Flash, with no option to get it installed.
    In that case I think it is virtually impossible to do it client-side - unless yourself or anyone else can over any suggestions? IE7 doesn't support data:// (heck, even IE9 doesn't to the extent needed here - I've just been looking into this subject this morning).

Allan
    edited June 2012
    But if I don't need the files to be saved, just opened in the browser, would it then be an issue? Thanks for looking into this!

Would it be possible to generate the file server-side, put a temporary file in a folder on the server, and present that file to the user in the browser?

Cheers,
    Peter
    > But if I don't need the files to be saved, just opened in the browser, would it then be an issue?

The files still need to be generated somehow. It could be done with the data:// protocol, but it will not work in IE.

> Would it be possible to generate the file server-side, put a temporary file in a folder on the server, and present that file to the user in the browser?

Yes - see this plug-in for TableTools: http://datatables.net/extras/tabletools/plug-ins#download

Allan
    Cool — so that plug-in doesn't use Flash?
    No - Flash is only used to generate and save files on the client-side. That plug-in just sends a request to the server with the data. You do of course have to generate the file though.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.