IE6 pegs CPU at 100%, suggestions?

IE6 pegs CPU at 100%, suggestions?

MattCMattC Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited June 2012 in General
Unfortunately, we need to support IE6 for an important subset of our customers.

I did some IE6 testing today. The table rendered OK and expanding details worked, but when I sorted or used the search, the CPU shot up to 100% and stayed there until I killed IE6.

I see other people remarking that they're using IE6 successfully, so I'm wondering if it's something in my table config. I am using the sScrollY feature. However, there's only 139 rows total, it's not a huge count.

Has anyone seen this before, does anyone have any suggestions? (Continued use of IE6 is a given.)

[code]
$(document).ready(function () {

//this keeps the columns headers lined up when we've got the internal scroller.
$(window).resize(function () {
dtExpedite.fnAdjustColumnSizing();
});

$(".expand_details").click(expand_details);

dtExpedite = $('#expedite_table').dataTable({
"sScrollY": "400px",
"bPaginate": false,
"bScrollCollapse": true,
//"aaSortingFixed": [[7, 'asc'], [2, 'asc']],
"aaSortingFixed": [[7, 'asc']],
"aoColumnDefs": [
{ "bSearchable": false, "bVisible": false, "aTargets": ['dtcn_Description', 'dtcn_Notes', 'dtcn_InternalNotes'] },
{ "bSortable": false, "aTargets": ['dtcn_ExpandDetails'] }
]
});

});
[/code]

Replies

• MattCMattC Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Update, I tried some permutations with scrolling off, and IE6 locked the CPU upon first loading the table, it never displayed properly at all. It's not sScrollY.
  • allanallan Posts: 63,113Questions: 1Answers: 10,396 Site admin
    139 rows kills IE6?! How many columns have you got?

You could try the suggestions here: http://datatables.net/faqs#speed . Ajax source loading with referred rendering and Scroller is also an option.

Allan
    edited June 2012
    Counting hidden columns, there's 13 columns, presumably a normalish number.

Some of those columns (the hidden ones) have maybe a few hundred chars of data, though, if that makes a difference. If that seems like a trouble situation, I can send back the data outside the table and get at it some other way.

Probably won't get to it till Monday, but will look at the speed suggestions. I'll also try an even smaller row set, say 20 rows, and see if that helps. I assume if it locks on 20 rows it's not likely to work with AJAX loading either.
  • allanallan Posts: 63,113Questions: 1Answers: 10,396 Site admin
    Yup, 13 should be no problem. I was wondering if you might say 100 or so! The other thing is to make sure that your table isn't in a display:none element when initialised - we've found IE does something weird when that is the case.

> I can send back the data outside the table and get at it some other way.

That sounds promising - yes, use mDataProp: http://datatables.net/blog/Extended_data_source_options_with_DataTables . Hidden columns have a good bit of overhead that you really don't need if you don't want to then make the column visible in future.

Allan
    Not initialized in display:none.

Good to know about the hidden columns, all I want is the data, so I'll manage some other way.

I'll try out some things when I get back to this one (it got bumped for now).

Thanks for your further suggestions.
    edited July 2012
    Just an FYI for anyone who finds this later.

I did finally get back to this. I got rid of the hidden columns, and IE6 does work now. I can sort, filter, and adjust # rows shown using IE6 and it remains responsive. It's a fix.
  • koosvdkolkkoosvdkolk Posts: 169Questions: 0Answers: 0
    [quote]we need to support IE6 for an important subset of our customers.[/quote]

We will remember you in our prayers.
This discussion has been closed.