Help with slow server side rending

Help with slow server side rending

smalonesmalone Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2012 in General
Hello,

I am pretty new to DataTables. I use to use tablesorter, but my new project requires several millions of records at any given time. I was told DataTables is what all the cool kids use. I was just like to first say that I am very impressed with this library so far.

I ran through the documentation, examples, and API. Based on my needs, it looks like I needed to use server side scripting. When running test data (~50,000) records, it seemed to work great for me. The table rendered in less than a second. Then i jumped over to the million+ data records, and then my troubles started. I have yet to let it run all the way through. The longest I let it run was about 20 minutes or so.

I am using PHP and MySQL to access the database. My version of dataTables is 1.9.3 I am using the server side template provided in the example.

Here is my table initalization:
[code]
var dataTable = $('table').dataTable({
"sAjaxSource": "php/pop_table.php",
"sScrollY": "200px",
"sDom": 'frtiS',
"bProcessing": true,
"bSortClasses": false,
"bDeferRender": true,
"bServerSide": true,
"oScroller": {
"loadingIndicator": true
}
}).fnSetFilteringDelay(250);
[/code]

Here is the portion of the php script that I modified:
[code]
$aColumns = array( 'date', 'phone', 'roaming', 'call_duration', 'overseas' );

/* Indexed column (used for fast and accurate table cardinality) */
$sIndexColumn = "phone";

/* DB table to use */
$sTable = "calls";

/* Database connection information */
$gaSql['user'] = "#########";
$gaSql['password'] = "########";
$gaSql['db'] = "#########";
$gaSql['server'] = "#######";
[/code]

I didn't modify the anything else in the php script because I'm currently testing with a basic query.

I read just about every thread in the forum here and outside sources. I tried about 20 different things. You can see I am currently using the filteringDelay plugin, Scroller, DeferRender, and disabled SortClasses.

Unfortunately I ca

Please let me know any other information you need from me.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Debug Code: http://debug.datatables.net/unalul

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,138Questions: 1Answers: 10,399 Site admin
    > The longest I let it run was about 20 minutes or so.

Ouch!

Is that time at the server which is being used to get the data? Might the server be running out of RAM, or the SQL / PHP limit be low enough that one of the processes is hitting its head?

Allan
  • smalonesmalone Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the reply, Allan.

It's definitely on the server side. I checked in firebug. When the page loads the php script. It never finishes.

[quote]
    the SQL / PHP limit be low enough that one of the processes is hitting its head
    [/quote]

If by SQL/PHP limit you mean the memory_limit entry in the php.ini, it was set to 512M. I temporarily increased it to 2000M just to be sure. That didn't seem to work. I'm using InnoDB for my table. Here is the buffer pool setting:
    [code]innodb_buffer_pool_size=512M[/code]

I'm not sure where else to check.

[quote]
    Might the server be running out of RAM
    [/quote]

This server is a WIndows Server, and unfortunately I'm a Unix guy, so I don't know much about managing a Windows server. The only way I knew of to monitor RAM usage was by monitoring the Performance in the Task Manager. It didn't seem to be affected much when I loaded the page.

Thanks again,
    Sean
    Okay - I'm afraid I'm out of my depth as well then. If its a server-side script which is running slowly then I'm afraid I won't be able to offer too much help, being a primarily client-side person :-). I can only suggest that you profile the script or the SQL that is executed.

Allan
    Well, thank you for trying anyways. Hopefully someone else with more expertise than us on server side will be able to help me.
    Quick question though. Shouldn't the scroller alleviate this issue? I'm still not quite sure how it works. They way I understood based on what I read in other discussions, it only queries what is needed from the database to view on the screen.
    I had a Windows server friend take a look. Apparently the client had their virtual machine configured incorrectly. It was showing more RAM than it actually was using. He was able to configure it the right way. It works like a charm now.

Thanks,
    Sean
    Ah excellent. It was a RAM / swap issue then - that's good to know :-). Thanks for the update.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.