Server side full export of pdf and excel using tabletools

Server side full export of pdf and excel using tabletools

drakula1234drakula1234 Posts: 58Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited November 2012 in General
Allan,

This plugin is wonderful, I really appreciate your help in my previous posts to get the plugin working on client side. I have another question to get this to export full dataset from serverside. I have the plugin download (GET only) in my code. Can I use the sUrl same as the sAjaxSource or will that be different. My controller that is triggered for the sAjaxSource spits out the application/json as the MIME type. Can I use the same controller or should that be a different controller with the MIME type attachment. Also, how to pass the serverside processing parameters.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,089Questions: 1Answers: 10,387 Site admin
    You might be interested in the download plug-ins here: http://datatables.net/extras/tabletools/plug-ins .

To be honest I don't see the point of using TableTools for client-side export with server-side processing, since you might as well just switch to client-side processing. It will be much easier and you need to load the full data set anyway.

Allan
  • drakula1234drakula1234 Posts: 58Questions: 1Answers: 0
    I have used clientside for a smaller dataset and it works perfect. There is another datatable with a huge dataset collecting data from multiple databases which takes significant amount of time to load for 25 records, I can't do the client side for this but I want to export full records server-side. I have the plugin http://datatables.net/extras/tabletools/plug-ins in my code. What are the other requirements I need to achieve this functionality ? Should I use apache-fop to do the pdf rendering and apache poi for excel export or I am very confused with this.
    > What are the other requirements I need to achieve this functionality ?

You need to write the script that will create the file and then download it :-). I don't actually have an example of that, but there are plenty around the web, and plenty of libraries to help create such files, such as the ones you suggest.

Allan
    Thank you very much Allan
    Allan, I have another question. For the full export I need to send iDisplayStart and iDisplayLength values to my server to retrieve the complete resultset. I am not sure how to pass those values to my serverside code in download (POST + GET) code. I was assuming we can pass iDisplayStart and iDisplayLength values in aoGet/aoPost but doesn't seem to work. Can you please tell me how to send those values so that my existing code will work asusual. Thanks!
    The two download plug-ins should be sending the full parameter set as GET or POST parameters (depending on which one you use). If that doesn't work, please link to a test case showing the problem.

Allan
This discussion has been closed.