Rendering time in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera

Rendering time in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera

TobiasTobias Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited February 2010 in General
Are these rendering times "normal" for 2000 rows with 3 columns from datasource DOM?

Firefox: 291 ms
Opera: 669 ms
Internet Explorer: 26610 ms (!)

Internet Explorer seems to be a bit slow... I know it is, but SO slow?

Thank you for your time, help and reply :)

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    edited February 2010
    Hi Tobias,

Ouch! Yup - IE is dang slow - but 26 seconds to render a table is quite excessive. One of the killers for IE is the 'sort' - what happens if you disable sorting on the table? Also I'd suggest trying to disable bSortClasses as that can take up a fair bit of time (although it's only used when sorting is enabled obviously). Also, are you using 1.6.1 (which included a number of optimisations)? From the Firefox rendering time, I'm guessing so.

It would be good to be able to pin down what might be happening here, so see if I can optimise it.

Regards,
    Allan
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Hi Allen,

I've done some additional analysis of the problem since my post. It seems that IE has a big issue with the datasource DOM. If I provide an array via aaData-option it takes IE about 1.5 seconds to render the table (FireFox: 0.22s). Disabling sorting on the table speeds up the rendering by about .5 seconds.

And yes, I use DataTable version 1.6.1 and jquery version 1.4.

Anything else I can provide?

Regards, Tobias
    Ooo - 26 seconds to read from the DOM! That sounds very poor indeed and I'm a little surprised. In my performance testing for the 1.6.1 release is never saw anything this bad in IE. Is the data in your table complex? Was this IE8?

Allan
    It was indeed IE8. The data is far from complex, in fact it is random data for performance tests and evaluating. The data consists of three columns: the first two cols filled with one to three random "lorem ipsum"-words, the third with a random number (range: 0-1000000). I wrote a small script to generate an arbitrary number of rows (in this case 2000) with that data.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can do something similar to try and speed things up. It doesn't sound right that it would take that long in IE8 but so short in the other two browsers... But I can't think what would cause the difference other than the Javascript engine!

Allan
    I also think its the Javascript engine. By the way, the new beta from Opera (version 10.50 beta 1) is really fast (160 to 220 ms for the tests above), Googles Chrome is comparable to Firefox.
This discussion has been closed.