What is Editor for

What is Editor for

madawebmadaweb Posts: 17Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited January 2013 in Editor
Hi!

What is http://editor.datatables.net/ for?
Is code generated with Editor different than coding it from jquery.datatables.js? OR is it just a tool to generate CRUD for non-developer people?

I want to create a table with inline edit and delete control ... What is the maximum degree of customization?

Cordially,

madaweb

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,879Questions: 1Answers: 10,138 Site admin
    Editor adds CRUD capabilities on top of DataTables. It uses the DataTables API, so creating a CRUD application is absolutely possible without Editor, but it does all the boring stuff of putting it all together and presenting it in a nice easy to use and well documented API. Setting up CRUD applications is something that web-developers do all the time, and Editor is designed to take some of the pain away!

Editor's API can be used to extensively customise and control the form that is presented, so while Generator is useful for non-developers, primarily Editor as a whole is aimed directly at developers.

> I want to create a table with inline edit and delete control ... What is the maximum degree of customisation?

Have a look through some of the examples here to see what can be done with Editor: http://editor.datatables.net/examples/ - including an inline Edit / Delete example here: http://editor.datatables.net/release/DataTables/extras/Editor/examples/envelope_inline.html .

Allan
  • madawebmadaweb Posts: 17Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Yes, Generator is not useful for me, I already have my database with datas, I just want to create a CRUD for it, especially for tables with more than 100000 rows: does Editor manage server-side loading automatically?

What about 15-day trial?
    edited January 2013
    > Does Editor manage server-side loading automatically?

Yes it does :-). If you are using the PHP classes that Editor comes with, all you need to do is add `bServerSide: true` in your DataTables initialisation. This was a new feature added in 1.2.2 and means it will easily scale to cope with millions of rows, just like DataTables.

> What about 15-day trial?

This feature is also present in the 15 day trial version.

> Yes, Generator is not useful for me, I already have my database with datas

Generator might still be useful as it will create the Javascript required for a particular schema. Just tell it what columns you want it to read from your existing database. It is of course limited in what it can do - if you really want to see what Editor can do, you need to use its API!

Allan
    edited January 2013
    I ask about 15-day trial because I wonder: it means that the package I have downloaded isn't yet complete?
    I don't see the mechanism limiting the trial to 15 days.
    There is no time bomb i the code - it won't currently explode on you! There are limitations though:

- The PHP Join class is not available
    - The source code is not available
    - No offline documentation
    - No upgrades

The full version does not have these limitation.

Also keep in mind that by purchasing a license, you are supporting DataTables as well as Editor and helping to ensure the future development and support of both :-)

Allan
    Sincerely thanks for your feedback!

Working as developer, I was wondering is what I'm going to stay with pure datatable or go to fast speed with Editor.

Thank again, I think I understand how Editor works and what is it for!

Little update for this thread to clarify. At the time of writing my post above (Jan 2013), the PHP Join class was not available in the trial version of Editor. That is no longer the case, joins (specifically Mjoin in this case, which has replaced the original Join class) are available in the trial.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.