Show/Hide Details without selecting row

Show/Hide Details without selecting row

ChrisGChrisG Posts: 29Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited August 2013 in TableTools
I have both the Show/Hide details button and the user selectable rows features, and I want to prevent the row from being selected if the user clicks on the show/hide details button only. So basically how do I prevent row selecting if the user clicks on the first column in the table?

I feel like this should be really easy to do but I just don't know how to write it out. I've gotten as far as figuring that I probably need to modify the actual selecting function in TableTools.js

Let me know if I'm way off base.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,722Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Two options, use TableTools fnPreRowSelect function ( http://datatables.net/extras/tabletools/initialisation#fnPreRowSelect ) to cancel the select when clicked on an img element (assuming you are using an image element), or simply use stopPropagation to cancel the event bubbling up.

Allan
  • ChrisGChrisG Posts: 29Questions: 0Answers: 0
    What about avoiding a column entirely? Like for example I don't want the row to be selected if the mouse is clicked within the first column or eighth column.

Since there is space around the Show/Hide image that the user might accidentally click, I want to try to avoid that mistake from happening if possible.

Thanks for the help!
  • allanallan Posts: 61,722Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Currently no - the TableTools click event handler listens on the whole row, so there is no way of specifying which columns (at the moment, I am going to change it in future). I've opened this issue: https://github.com/DataTables/TableTools/issues/30 .

The other option is to add your own event handler and use the fnSelect API method to select rows using your own logic.

Allan
    Awesome. I can't wait to see that feature added. It would help me out a lot. I'm a beginner to all of this so I really don't think I'll be able to add my own event handler for selection or anything. I honestly wouldn't know where to start.
    So I'm trying to add my own event handler using fnSelect... but I'm confused as to what the parameters actually do. So far all I've managed to do is alert that nRow[0].id shows the row id that was clicked... But I have no clue as to what oConfig or nButton are actually doing.

Is there any documentation as to what information these contain? How would I determine what column is being clicked from this information?
    So I solved this with a temporary solution of just modifying the click event in TableTools.js to look at the html info inside a clicked cell and I can then check if the data is null or if the html contains keywords like "details" for the Show/Hide button name... I also have it check if the html contains "href" so that if I have links or thumbnails in a row, the user can click them without actually selecting the row.

This works great but I'm concerned if I ever need to update my TableTools to a newer version... I commented my code so I can always transfer it over but it would still be good to have a proper fix for this.
This discussion has been closed.