Possible to save export without seeing the save prompt?

Possible to save export without seeing the save prompt?

sm9sm9 Posts: 27Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2013 in TableTools
Hi there,

When you click an export button in DataTables/TableTools, you are shown a save prompt where you can edit the filename if you wish, then press the Save button.

Instead of this workflow, is it possible to click an export button and have the export save automatically to the default download location, without needing to see the save prompt?

I'm asking as I'm doing a lot of these exports and it'd speed up workflow if I didn't have this extra step.

Thanks,

Stephen

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,723Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    No - not with client-side file saving in Flash. That is a limitation of the Flash platform Adobe decided to put in.

The other option to have it do what you are looking for is to create a script on the server which will generate the required files and load them in an iframe for the browser to download.

Allan
  • sm9sm9 Posts: 27Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited September 2013
    Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply and for confirming this.

It's beyond my ability to do anything custom, so I'm fine to just live with this.

On the note of Flash - do you ever see yourself moving away from this for TableTools? It feels like Flash is a dying technology so I wondered if you had a replacement for this in TableTools in mind, in the near or long term plan?

Thanks,

Stephen
  • allanallan Posts: 61,723Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Couldn't agree with you more. The very day that there is an HTML / Javascript API which provides local file saving with the same flexibility as Flash does (and even that is limited) and copy to clipboard, I'll drop flash in a heart beat. I'm not using it because I want to!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.