Multiple instances of DataTables : TypeError: e[j] is undefined

Multiple instances of DataTables : TypeError: e[j] is undefined

1DMF1DMF Posts: 16Questions: 5Answers: 0

I don't understand why DataTables is throwing this error in FF: TypeError: e[j] is undefined

In IE it's reported as : Unable to get property 'aDataSort' of undefined or null reference

Here is the code

HTML

<table id="fp_promotion_history">
<thead>
    <tr>
        <th>AuditID</th>
        <th>Action</th>
        <th>Description</th>
        <th>User Name</th>
        <th>Audit Date</th>
    </tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
    <tmpl_loop name='fp_history'>
        <tr id="AuditID_<tmpl_var name='AuditID'>">
            <td data-AuditID="<tmpl_var name='AuditID'>"><tmpl_var name='AuditID'></td>  
            <td data-Action="<tmpl_var name='Action'>"><tmpl_var name='Action'></td>
            <td data-Audit_Desc="<tmpl_var name='Audit_Desc'>"><tmpl_var name='Audit_Desc'></td>
            <td data-User_Name="<tmpl_var name='User_Name'>"><tmpl_var name='User_Name'></td>               
            <td data-Audit_Date="<tmpl_var name='Audit_Date'>"><tmpl_var name='Audit_Date'></td>
        </tr>
    </tmpl_loop>
</tbody>
</table>

JQuery

showDialog({content:data,title:'Financial Promotion Audit Trail History (FPID : ' + $('#fp_promotions_table tr.selected').attr('id') + ')'});                                            

// turn into a datatable
        $('#fp_promotion_history').dataTable({        
                "sDom": 'R<"H"fr>t<"F"ip>',            
                "bJQueryUI": true,
                "sPaginationType": "full_numbers",
                "iDisplayLength": 25,
                "order": [[ 5, "desc" ]]
        });

What I don't understand is I already have a datatable on the page which is working fine.

I make an AJAX call, display the result (a table) with the JQuery UI Dialog, but when I try to turn it into a DataTable , it just errors?

The documentation implies multiple tables is OK : http://legacy.datatables.net/release-datatables/examples/basic_init/multiple_tables.html

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
1DMF

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    edited July 2014

Can you link to a test case showing the issue please. Multiple tables should work fine: http://datatables.net/examples/basic_init/multiple_tables.html (current example, rather than the linked legacy one).

Allan

• 1DMF1DMF Posts: 16Questions: 5Answers: 0
    edited July 2014

Well I just messed about in JSFiddle, and it was working, so by process of elimination, I replaced JQuery 1.7.1 I was using with JQuery 1.10.2 and it is now working.

This must be a version conflict with JQuery even though DataTables is meant to be compatible with JQuery 1.7+ , I seem to be having issues with it.

Though when I select JQuery 1.7.2 on JSFiddle it still seems to work?

http://jsfiddle.net/b2fNM/26/

So perhaps it was related to the version I was using locally (1.7.1) which I have had for quite some time? Or was there a bug fix between JQuery 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 ?

UPDATE: Well it seems I was being an idiot after all, as it was related to the 'order' argument.

"order": [[ 3, "desc" ]]

I assume order is zero indexed?

Which isn't clear from this : https://datatables.net/reference/api/order()

As it talks about column 1 as [1] not [0] ?

Clarification on this would be appreciated.

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    edited July 2014 Answer ✓

I assume order is zero indexed?

It is yes. I've just added a note to the documentation locally about this and I'll deploy an update to the site with this fix shortly! Thanks for pointing it out!

I should also say that there was a problem with jQuery 1.7 compatibility with 1.10.0 release - this has been corrected in the nightly. The issue was with how the select list for the page length was being created.

Allan

• 1DMF1DMF Posts: 16Questions: 5Answers: 0

No problem, shame the message is so ambiguous, especially as the docs implies [1] index based.

As an aside, thanks for the awesome plugin, displaying cool tables with a plethora functionality has never been so easy. Great job!

This discussion has been closed.