Sequences and Editor Extension

Sequences and Editor Extension

medusa101medusa101 Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi,

Has anyone interfaced with tables that use sequences for a column. For example - a table that I have in postgres has the column studentID as a sequence. How we use this column?

Also has anyone implemented controls like drop downs inside the Editor or Datatables?

Regards
Adi

Replies

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,365Questions: 39Answers: 395

AFAIK a Postgres "Sequence" is equivalent to SQL's auto-increment field. You would use it like any other field for ordering and searching - unless your particular application decrees otherwise - but you wouldn't enable editing on a Sequence field.

Others will know more than me about Postgres, though.

• allanallan Posts: 63,262Questions: 1Answers: 10,424 Site admin
    edited August 2014

This is the demo postgres SQL for DataTables (note that there has been a fix added since the 1.10.2 release...) which uses serial to create a column with a sequence attached to it.

Basically you shouldn't need to do anything if the database is setup to use the sequence for a column and it is triggering correctly.

Allan

• medusa101medusa101 Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the answer. However, does the PHP database library assume the column to be named 'id'. Because my column name is StudentID and it is trying to create a query like 'select id as "id" when it should be doing it as 'select studentid as "id"/"studentid". The version of Editor I have running is 1.3.2

• medusa101medusa101 Posts: 10Questions: 0Answers: 0

The error I get is as follows for my own files.

DataTables warning: table id=example - SQLSTATE[42703]: Undefined column: 7 ERROR: column "id" does not exist
    LINE 1: SELECT id as "id", studentname as "studentname", dob as "do...

I think there is a problem with automatic detection and use of sequence based fields.

To verify I did this I modified the code for inline-editing example:-

I copied the simple inline editing to inline-editing2. Changes created a new table called datatables_demo2 from datatables_demo. I added another sequence for datatables_demo2. I then changed the name of the first column which is a SERIAL type from id to studentid. I made no changes to any of the code except for changing the table name in the staff.php.

When I try to load this page I get the following error for the example too.

DataTables warning: table id=example - SQLSTATE[42703]: Undefined column: 7 ERROR: column "id" does not exist
    LINE 1: SELECT id as "id", first_name as "first_name", last_name as...

• allanallan Posts: 63,262Questions: 1Answers: 10,424 Site admin

However, does the PHP database library assume the column to be named 'id'.

Use the third parameter of the Editor constructor to tell the class to use a different primary key table. See:

Allan

This discussion has been closed.