Observing sporadic problem with fnGetPosition and fnGetData

Observing sporadic problem with fnGetPosition and fnGetData

snideremarksnideremark Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2014 in Free community support

Hi,

I am using version 1.10.1 and facing a problem with fnGetPosition and fnGetData functions sporadically. Here's a small snippet of the code I am using -

$("#tableName tbody).on("click","td",function(){

var aPos=$("#tableName").dataTable().fnGetPosition(this);

var aData=$("#tableName").dataTable().fnGetData(aPos[0]);
});

Now this works just fine 80% of the time, but there are times when, instead of returning the actual values, aPos gets this value -

[
function(){
var ret=fn.apply(scope,arguments);
//Method extension
_Api.extend(ret,ret,struct.methodExt);
return ret;
}
,undefined,
 function(){ 
var ret=fn.apply(scope,arguments);
//Method extension
_Api.extend(ret,ret,struct.methodExt);
return ret;
}
]

Some function definitions seem to have crept into aPos, instead of the row and column indices.
Consequently, aData gets null value and the code that follows fails.

I tried to pin the problem down to fnGetPositon() and decided to avoid calling this. Instead I tried this -

var aData=$("#tableName").dataTable().fnGetData($(this).parent('tr'));

But even with this, there are times when aData gets a null value. I tried stepping into the code usind the non-minified version, but could figure out what's going wrong. I am unable to replicate this problem at will. Like I have mentioned before, this is only happening sporadically about 20% of the times and I haven't been able to establish a clear pattern to willfully replicate the problem yet. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Possibly that might occur if the data is null - but I would need a test case to be able to replicate the issue to be able to debug it.

However, I would very much suggest that rather than using the old style API, use the new one - it should be must easier:

$("#tableName tbody).on("click","td",function(){
        var data = $("#tableName").DataTable().row( this.parentNode ).data();
    });

Note the capital D in $().DataTable() to access the new API!

Allan

This discussion has been closed.