Downloads should save to tab

Downloads should save to tab

opethgeekopethgeek Posts: 4Questions: 3Answers: 0
edited February 2015 in Free community support

Every time I try to save an excel or a csv spreadsheet, I'm prompted to save the export but when I click 'save' the prompt just disappears. I can tell it saved if I open up my Downloads folder, but normally most downloads populate on the Chrome download bar at the bottom or the Firefox tab. Is there an option on this extension to force it to populate through the browser's downloader so I can easily find the file after download?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,821Questions: 1Answers: 10,127 Site admin

There is no option for this. It is how Flash works unfortunately.

The only option to do what you want is to have the server create the file for you and download it in an iframe or another window.

Allan

• opethgeekopethgeek Posts: 4Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hmm. We have a variety of salespeople using this product to download their sales data. DataTables is hands-down the best out there for what we need; unfortunately, some of the older users are used to the downloads tab in their browsers and are very confused when the window disappears and no indication is given. They'll end up saving duplicate files until they realize where the files have been saved to, and even worse - they'll end up calling us relentlessly to figure out where their data has gone.

We'd be willing to shell out some cash if there's any way to circumvent this issue, whether it be to implement the second paragraph you mentioned or let the downloads be handled by something other than flash.

Just a thought! Let me know if any progress can be made in this area.

• nduvieilhnduvieilh Posts: 11Questions: 1Answers: 0

We also have an expressed interest in this as well. Datatables is a great free tool but this is a feature definitely worth paying money for if that can make it a reality. That pesky download option has equated to quite a few phone calls here too.

• allanallan Posts: 61,821Questions: 1Answers: 10,127 Site admin

I truly which there were an option for this, but as I say, this is a limitation in Flash, not in DataTables. The Flash save to local file system API simply doesn't have an option for this and I have no control over that API.

The only solution is to ditch Flash and use something else. Since HTML5 doesn't yet provide what we would need to replace Flash that leaves having a server create the file and then have it downloaded to the browser. That is perfectly possible and quote do-able. There is even a download plug-in for TableTools that provides some of the client-side code you would need.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.