Compatibility issues with XHTML

Compatibility issues with XHTML

EricBuistEricBuist Posts: 5Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi,

I am having issue with an XHTML page containing a DataTable with AJAX server-side processing. When the table contains more then 70 rows, the footer line with number of rows doesn't show up. Digging further, I found that the problem is caused by an uncaught syntax exception triggered by the line

container.append('<span>…</span>');

Replacing … in the source code of jquery.dataTables works around the issue, but I would like a solution not forcing me to modify the source code. If I switch back to HTML instead of XHTML, the table works, but I cannot embed SVG anymore and I need SVG embedding for hyperlinks in the SVG to jump to other similar XHTML pages with the graph and data table.

The problem happens as soon as there are more than 70 rows in the table. This can be obtained by initializing a table from artificial JSON data. With 70 rows, the footer displays fine. With 71 rows, it goes away. Everything works fine in plain HTML but fails in XHTML.

Unfortunately, I cannot put up a live test case, because live.datatables doesn't show the table, although it works correctly from a standalone .xhtml file. Trying with jsfiddle exhibits the same behavior: the web site just complains I should put files as external resources when I paste HTML. live DataTables is showing totally cryptic error messages about the loaded JavaScript libraries and doesn't display anything.

http://live.datatables.net/pubasumi/2/edit?html,js,console

I already spent more than half a day with the real problem and now needs to fiddle with a side issue just to get the original problem posted. I cannot just host the .xhtml file on my own, because I am working from a company and don't h ave access to any DMZ where I could post that. I thought about attaching the file to this post: no attachment option. Copy/pasting a file with a 70-entry JavaScript dictionary will of course be pointless.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.