PDF export column display issue

PDF export column display issue

carerswiltshirecarerswiltshire Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help - when clicking the PDF button to export a copy of our data table - located here http://carersinwiltshire.co.uk/service-directory/ - the far right column displays with one letter of each word one under underneath another.

Is this issue due to having too many columns to display? Is there a work-around to get it displaying OK for people who want to download the data?

Thanks.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,365Questions: 39Answers: 395

Your CSV and Excel exports are also a mess. The problem is coming from the "child" rows in your table.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution. You might try a forum search for "export child row data" or similar.

• carerswiltshirecarerswiltshire Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thank you tangerine. I'll give that a go.

• allanallan Posts: 63,075Questions: 1Answers: 10,385 Site admin
    Answer ✓

The issue here is that the column width in the PDF is based upon the column width in the HTML. However, the latter columns in your table haven't been displayed yet so they have no width...! Hence the issue.

I'm working on a replacement for TableTools that will be available later this month which should resolve this by using a different method of generating the PDFs.

Allan

• carerswiltshirecarerswiltshire Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help Allan. We'll wait for a fix :)

The issue here is that the column width in the PDF is based upon the column width in the HTML.

Allan, this is puzzling me. Are you saying that the same applies to CSV and Excel exports?

No - only the PDF option uses that.

The CSV export appears to be fine for me in the example above. Did you do anything to the table before hitting the export option?

Allan

Did you do anything to the table before hitting the export option?

Nope - but it turns out that my OpenOffice was set up to read in a differently delimited import, so it looks ok now.

Apologies all round.

No worries - good to hear the mystery is solved. OpenOffice provides a huge number of options for CSV import!

Allan

• y060121y060121 Posts: 4Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hi allan,
    Nearly iam also facing the same problem regarding pdf, u said, "The issue here is that the column width in the PDF is based upon the column width in the HTML". what do u mean by column width in html? iam a bit newbie here.

That comment was relevant only to TableTools' export - it uses the same ratios as the column width int he HTML and it does in the PDF. However, TableTools is now retired and replace with Buttons which uses pdfmake for the PDF. The table width is defined by the pdfmake options or by its internal algorithm.

Allan

• y060121y060121 Posts: 4Questions: 2Answers: 0

Thanks for ur valuable reply, can u pls provide some link for pdfmake exampls pls.
    thanking you.

http://pdfmake.org/playground.html .

See also this thread which discusses this.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.