iOS fixedColumns momentum scrolling performance with WKWebView

iOS fixedColumns momentum scrolling performance with WKWebView

samlingsamling Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

I'm building an app using DataTables with the FixedColumns plugin being fed into PhoneGap Build to be run on iPads. Right now everything is working quite well, the datatable renders wonderfully and it all looks great. There is a long-standing issue of momentum/velocity scrolling (i.e. flicking the screen with your finger to scroll) not triggering the scroll event until the scroll actually finishes. Turns out this can be somewhat solved by using Telerik's Cordova wkwebview polyfill plugin to allow the webview to use WKWebView instead of UIWebView (available as of iOS 8), which does allow the fixed column/header to scroll during a momentum scroll event.

The only thing that bugs me now is that when triggering this event with a flick, it's not a very smooth animation unless I scroll slowly. Also, the columns/rows in the fixed header/column fall out of alignment slightly (they fall behind what's actually in the table) until the scroll is finished. This second issue I noticed even before when using UIWebView, where the only way to get the fixed elements to scroll is to keep your finger down while scrolling.

My question is if anyone has had any success in optimizing datatables + FixedColumns when used on iOS. I understand this is probably a limitation imposed by the hardware or the webview and not anything that datatables has direct control over, but as I'm new to datatables I'm interested to hear of any performance or optimization tips anyone may have.

Unfortunately as the app I'm developing is not for public consumption I cannot provide an example here, nor would it be useful as it renders and scrolls just fine in a browser. This is specifically a WebView issue.

Thanks,

Sam

This discussion has been closed.