Please use semver

Please use semver

factorialfactorial Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 1

New in DataTables 1.10 states that 3 features were removed from version 1.9, including fnRender and bScrollInfinite. Please utilize semver to communicate this kind of backward incompatibility in your version numbers. 1.10 is not backward compatible with 1.9 -- anyone relying on bScrollInfinite or the fnRender function can not upgrade -- and so semantic versioning would dictate that 1.10 is actually a 2.* release.

I was disappointed to learn that what I had thought was a backward-compatible release was not, and that I only learned so by reading all the way down to the bottom of release notes. In the future users can know immediately that an in-place upgrade isn't possible if the semver convention is followed.

Thanks for a fantastic product.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,213Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I did come very close to calling it v2 and I rather wish I had with hindsight now. I've been trying to follow the basic spirit of semver although not to the letter. I've always had an idea of what I want v2 to be and have talked about it in the past, which is why I didn't change the major number.

I am continuing to review this!

Allan

• factorialfactorial Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 1

Thank you Allan. I can relate - that jump from v1 to v2 feels special, particularly if you've planned it for a while. :) Perhaps part of the v2 release can be an announced full embracement of semver, setting the expectation of major releases being more common in the future.

Although the sooner the better IMHO; I think more and more people expect version numbers to have this semantic meaning these days.

• allanallan Posts: 63,213Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Answer ✓

My biggest concern with jumping to v2 is how hard it is just to persuade folks to go with a minor bump and sometimes even a patch bump, never mind a major version. Even if it were code identical there would be those who wouldn't upgrade.

Having said that, I'm starting to think that Linus has the right idea with Linux versions - pick a day and bump the version :-).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.