jQuery Datatables slow initialization in IE8

jQuery Datatables slow initialization in IE8

xfreakxfreak Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited September 2015 in Free community support

I have been working with DataTables for the last months and have already implemented server side processing with success. However the last requirement I was given was to have a search input in order to filter across all columns (like the predefault search for client side processing(CSP)).

As I antecipated that implementing that filter in server side processing (SSP) would result in a really slow query I switched my focus to CSP. Everything is working fine...except the usual suspect IE8 (requirement). The sort, paging and filtering all work really well in IE, however the initial loading is really slow and filled with "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly" dialogs. I spent the day reading the Datatables forum and SO looking for solutions, and did some experiments but nothing works (if I return more than ~2000 I get the damned dialog - I am testing with ~4000 rows):

-Using rows.add() in chunks of the returned JSON object (adapted the solution provided here - https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/16655/ie8-a-script-on-this-page-is-causing-your-web-browser-to-run-slowly - to work for version 1.10.3)

-Using deferRender = true

-Removed all the render functions;

-Made all columns not sortable;

-I have a bunch of click handlers that I was assigning in the DataTable's drawCallBack option: I switched it to delegate handlers and assigned them before initializing the table.

Notes:

1- I have some columns(4-5) that must use the render function in order to display custom data

2- I have some hidden columns (read somewhere that IE had some problems with hidden columns/table placeholder).

If someone has some more options I could try, I would be grateful! Thank you in advance

This discussion has been closed.