Loading of huge number of records in IE is taking a lot of time.

Loading of huge number of records in IE is taking a lot of time.

walterhunkwalterhunk Posts: 10Questions: 4Answers: 0

Hi,
i am using jquery.dataTables.js version 1.10.4.
When the datatables try to load more than 5000 records, IE11 is taking a lot of time. But in chrome i am not facing this issue.
Please provide a solution to this problem.

Thanks.

Answers

• glendersonglenderson Posts: 231Questions: 11Answers: 29

I've experienced similar issues over the years and currently with the latest version of DataTables in certain areas. I would strongly suggest upgrading to version 1.10.9 to start with.

How IE vs. FF vs. Chrome determine their positioning in DOM space is different. It does impact the performance of DataTables. IE does render tables slower and calculate positioning slower than the other browsers. I'm an IE fan, but it is slower in some regards. I suggest that you DON'T use the combined single download for DataTables. Instead, use the separate DataTables .js and only load the extensions that you are going to use. That way extensions .css files that are more position intensive won't impact your pages.

How deep you've placed the render table also impacts IE performance. The closer to the body node, the better performance. As an experiment, try placing the table right under the body node to determine if performance is impacted there.

If those suggestions don't work, moving to a server-side based model should help also. For my larger tables I move to server side processing so the user typically only needs to pull back 100 records instead of 10,000 at a time. It requires more coding and maybe three SQL statements instead of the single, but performance will be improved.

• walterhunkwalterhunk Posts: 10Questions: 4Answers: 0

Thank you @glenderson. I will make changes as per your suggestions and see if it improves the performance.

This discussion has been closed.