reloading new ajax url

reloading new ajax url

aot2002aot2002 Posts: 12Questions: 1Answers: 0

I cannot seem to get the table to show the new data from the new ajax source. I see the table refresh and I confirmed that the source is changing but the old data still appears.

if ( $.fn.dataTable.isDataTable( '#pageDataTable' ) ) {

$('#pageDataTable').DataTable().ajax.url( "/members/viewpagedata?project_id=" + projects.scc.getProjectId() ).reload();
                console.log("Project ID:" + projects.scc.getProjectId());

}else{

projects.scc.dataTablesObject = $('#pageDataTable').DataTable( {
                    "processing": true,
                    "serverSide": true,
                    "ajax": "/members/viewpagedata?project_id=" + projects.scc.getProjectId()
                } );
            }

Answers

• jLinuxjLinux Posts: 981Questions: 73Answers: 75

You probably have to incalidate and/or redraw the table. Look through the reference docs.

If you create an example on live.datatables.net, ill get it workin for ya

• aot2002aot2002 Posts: 12Questions: 1Answers: 0

I think if I just had a simple ajax example that was live working that would help me. There's really nothing special that I'm doing.

edited October 2015

I didn't notice you were using the serverSide option, so i'm not positive it will work, and i cant create a live.datatables.net instance with serverSide, but I created one with just the ajax, and changed the source using ajax.url().load().

Check it out: http://live.datatables.net/loqataro/3/edit?js,output
    Seems to work just fine, but like I said, im not sure it will work with serverSide, you may need to destroy and reload the whole table, but @Allan or @ThomD would know more than I

• ThomDThomD Posts: 334Questions: 11Answers: 43

I'd play with rows().invalidate()

I think he wants to do the entire table though, wouldnt rows().invalidate() just invalidate the rows for the current datasource?

• ThomDThomD Posts: 334Questions: 11Answers: 43
    edited October 2015

Depends on the selector used. I'd think you could invalidate all the rows. OTOH, part says that we are missing something. Never having done it, I would have thought all one needed was

change the URL, reload, redraw.

edited October 2015

I can't get the re-draw to work.

var table = $('#pageDataTable').DataTable(); 
                    table.ajax.url( "/members/viewpagedata?project_id=" + projects.scc.getProjectId() ).load();
                    console.log("Project ID:" + projects.scc.getProjectId());
                    table.draw();

var table = $('#pageDataTable'); 
    undefined

Although clearly I am using the right selector

$('#pageDataTable').html(); 
    "
                                            <thead>
                                                <tr role="row"><th class="sorting_asc" tabindex="0" aria-controls="pageDataTable" r.......SNIP

rows invalidate not working either. hmmm...

Have you tried changing the table page? Just to see what happens? Curious if it still pulls from the first source.

Also, i wonder if the columns have to be the same on the new json page.

Can you put the json to both sources in a pastebin for us or something? If its private stuff, just send the structure of them or something.

Good questions.

The paging is not setup I have it returning all data at the moment.

4 columns total.

Columns are identical at the moment. I'm just flipping between sources for project data which is different between each project.

Data snipped showing just three columns used
    http://pastebin.com/E3NJRyJn

I also checked and network tab in chrome shows that the data is being retrieved. If I right click on the network URL and open it has the right data but still not working.

I was thinking of trying to destroy the object but I read there are performance issues with that. Not sure how much impact it is.

I should of mentioned that the processing dialog is still showing. Although it has returned a 200 status in network tab.

I agree that using the destroy is bad, but can you try it out just to see if it works?

Have you tried to initialize the datatable with the 2nd source? just to rule out the sources them selves, isolating the switch itself as the problem

I can load either source but as soon as I load one the other will not load

Also tried to run by hand calls in console no go

I'll try destroy when I get back to a computer

Its gotta have something to do with it being serverSide, I mean it works fine with just an ajax source.. hmm

But the data loads for either source at least once

Right, once, then switching to the other doesnt work.. thats what im saying. It works perfectly when its just ajax though.

yes destroy is working.

if ( $.fn.dataTable.isDataTable( '#pageDataTable' ) ) { var table = $('#pageDataTable').DataTable(); table.destroy(); table = $('#pageDataTable').DataTable(); table.ajax.url( "/members/viewpagedata?project_id=" + projects.scc.getProjectId() ).load(); //$('#pageDataTable').DataTable().rows().invalidate(); //table.draw(); }else{ projects.scc.dataTablesObject = $('#pageDataTable').DataTable( { "processing": true, "serverSide": true, "ajax": "/members/viewpagedata?project_id=" + projects.scc.getProjectId() } ); }

I cant think of what it would be, and I dont have a serverSide instance to troubleshoot, sorry, im sure @allan will chime in and figure it out

Thank you JLinux for all your help so far. You've been great! I'll await @allan

If the two URL's are externally accessible/public, I could create my own instance from live.datatables.net

I could PM you the URLs privately with JSON data. Would just JSON data accessible work?

I believe that the serverSide requires something it can send values to..

This discussion has been closed.